Good, accurate air rifle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys,
looking at getting an air rifle for our 10m outdoor competition.

Looking for accuracy, and value for money, in .177.

Rules of the comp are "field" type firearms, open sights, no apertures or scopes.

Problem is, that the market as I've been able to see from the gun stores is aimed at 1000fps "hunting" firearms.

1,000 fps Dianna is in my price range, but I don't think I really need/want 1,000fps.

Any ideas ?

Interesting site.

Unfortunately, getting firearms into the country is insane.

A good performer is the Diana RWS 46 Stutzen with fixed barrel and underlever cocking. Has very good accuracy and decent fit and finish for around $500.

Diana RWS 46 Stutzen

There's also a Magnum version that reaches 1150 fps in .177.

In case you missed it, you can see the Diana site in English. Look at the very bottom under the fat orange bar.

Sorry for the
32.gif
. FWIW solid 10M shooters and cheap don't usually go together. The Beeman FWB C60 was a rock solid shooter with excellent CTC, but cost and availability were variable in January...oh wait nevermind because you can't have an aperture sight.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: pickled
Sorry for the
32.gif
. FWIW solid 10M shooters and cheap don't usually go together.

I don't remember Shannow wanting a cheap air rifle. He was looking for "accuracy, and value for money."

Thanks for the thoughts guys.

The class I shoot is based on field rifles, and the air rifle comp, to keep with the intent of the rules (and budget) has to be "field" oriented. Big wood, air cylinders and counterweights, although being "competetive" would fall outside the spirit on the rules.

Personally, I've had great results with Cz products, but the importer doesn't bring their air rifles into the country.

I think the Diana is ultimately going to be the winner, although I don't need 1,000 fps.

As far as accuracy aperture/peep sights go hand in hand with target type rifles. I prefer aperture sights on target rifles with scope restrictions, however I see the point about field rifles being used and the rules etc. I don't have any recommendations for you, however you may be able to replace aperture sights with field sights if that is an option.

I have a RWS mod.54 .177 cal.,I bought it when they first came out with the model 54,1995-1998? , it's has been great, no problems and very accurite, Craig.

It is not a competition air rifle but I have been thrilled with my Beeman R7 air rifle. It shoots in the area of 600 FPS is reasonably priced for the quality of the product and exceeded my expectations in every way. Since it is a spring piston gun it only requires one pump for full power. It is marketed towards youth & women but don't let that turn you away. I hit a 1.25 inch swinging target with mine at 75 feet every time if I do my part.

This is where I got mine http://www.straightshooters.com/beeman/r7.html

Had my "Permit to aquire a firearm" for a while now, and was down in Sydney today.

Went to my usual gunshop and they had notice that all specials are off, and that prices were about to jump 30-40%.

Had my eye on Gamo CF-x, after reading a few reviews, and having the utility of fixed barrel, scope rails, fibreoptic fixed sights etc. They only had one left, in .22, restock for a .177 was going to be an extra 25%.

http://www.airgunwarehouseinc.com/py-526.html

Had seen another shop online that had them on sale, rang them, and they had one in .17 left, slight diversion home, and picked it up. They threw in a $49 bag and $25 of match pellets.

So now I've got a fixed barrel air rifle, and a break single shot .22LR for our monthly single shot/air-rifle day....early Christmas.

Just need to sell my B-92 Browning, at the affair will be pretty close to cost neutral.

Not quite, it is currently safely in the tool locker bolted to the frame of my house with no less than 4x1/2" coach screws 2-1/2" long, with three 45mm minimum hardened hasp padlocks.

It's not getting out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back