high speed usb port??

Status
Not open for further replies.
whenevr i hook up a usb cable to one of the ports to d/l pics, i get this message stating that it'll be alot faster if i hook up to one of the high speed ports. How do i know which is a high speed port? xp

sounds like your motherboard or your OS (older than XP) may not support USB 2.0 standard afterall (and defaults to USB 1.1 standard, which is magnitudes slower).

Check to see if your hardware can support the standard. Also verify that you have XP SP-2 on it or newer.

Q.

You'll either have to get the correct driver for the older port (doubt this would work too often) or install a $10 USB 2.0 PCI card.

I'd recommend a card as the speed differences are MAJOR...

Bill

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
You'll either have to get the correct driver for the older port (doubt this would work too often) or install a $10 USB 2.0 PCI card.

I'd recommend a card as the speed differences are MAJOR...

Bill

Bill, for an older guy you seem pretty savvy about computer stuff.

Happy Birthday by the way.
grin2.gif

You'll either have to get the correct driver for the older port
how do i know where to go,which driver needs updating?

Thanks!

(I used to be in charge of a few Data Centers with IBM 3090 mainframes at each location for a MAJOR worldwide company)

Also had a PC since they came out and have (and continue to)build computers here and there.

I've forgot 99.998% of the MVS/XA and other stuff from those days. (I left the biz in 1991)

Take care, bill

Originally Posted By: daves66nova
You'll either have to get the correct driver for the older port
how do i know where to go,which driver needs updating?

How old is your computer? It may not have the correct chipset for the 2.0 USB. If you can look up the brand of the motherboard and model then go to their web site and see if they still support the board and if they have a driver.

Most of the time, I've just put in the USB card and wola! Fast USB...
banana2.gif

Sounds like the on-board USB controller lacks, or only has partial support for USB 2.0. This can be checked via the USB section of the device manager. USB 2.0-based hubs will be identified as thus.

Originally Posted By: daves66nova
it's a dell optiplex 3300,i think. I'm at work,so can't check right now.

According to Dell, that is not a valid model. Once you get the correct model, go to their site, support on the right upper side, drivers, follow for model and see if they support USB 2.0.

I don't think you can turn off the messages...

Bill

If you want the message to go away(from Microsoft):

To turn off this error message, you must follow these steps:

1. Open Device Manager. To do this, click Start, click Run, type devmgmt.msc in the Run window, and then click OK.

2. Expand the Universal Serial Bus Controllers section at the bottom of the device manager window. Locate and then double-click a host controller that has either the word Universal or the word Open in the title.

3. In the properties dialog box, click the Advanced tab, and then select the Don't tell me about USB errors check box.
Note If you turn off this option, all other USB error messages are also turned off.

As was said above, you can get 4+1 USB 2.0 cards for $10.

According to Dell this should be USB 2.0 compliant. Try removing the USB hubs and controller from the device manager and let Windows find and reinstall them on reboot.

Try the ports on the BACK of the computer. Sometimes the front USB ports on older systems are not USB 2.0 compliant. I have had to replace them on a few systems....

If you go to the Dell site they will have drivers and manuals. Also, I have found the Dell Forum helpful for troubleshooting.

Hi, I work with alot of these machines at work... And I'm dell certified warranty tech.

Go here:

http://support.dell.com/support/download...n&catid=&impid=

Click the [+] next to Chipset, then select "Download Now" next to "Intel - Driver."

Also, go here:

update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate/v6/default.aspx?ln=en-US

Follow the instructions, choose "Custom" when prompted, and install everything that comes up.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
Try the ports on the BACK of the computer. Sometimes the front USB ports on older systems are not USB 2.0 compliant. I have had to replace them on a few systems....

I've found the front USB ports notorious for frying out. I've killed about five myself, and none on the rear, and the pattern was pretty similar on machines I troubleshooted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back