Hard starting with Chevron gas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know you guys will call me crazy, but my truck does not like Chevron gas. I have alternated it with other gas over the last year at least and every time I put Chevron in, the truck is difficult to start. It does not seem to do this with other brands except Shell to some extent, but not as bad.

I think it has something to do with the check valve that causes it to leak as I have done a pressure test in the past and it would drop.

Anyone else ever had this happen?

Top tier gas is harder starting since it has no less than 8% ethanol in it.

Quote:
1.3.1.2 Base Fuel. The base fuel shall conform to ASTM D 4814 and shall contain commercial fuel grade ethanol conforming to ASTM D 4806. All gasoline blend stocks used to formulate the base fuel shall be representative of normal U.S. refinery operations and shall be derived from conversion units downstream of distillation. Butanes and pentanes are allowed for vapor pressure adjustment. The use of chemical streams is prohibited. The base fuel shall have the following specific properties after the addition of ethanol:

1. Contain enough denatured ethanol such that the actual ethanol content is no less than 8.0 and no more than 10.0 volume percent.

It is also the reason why a lot of people get worst MPG with it over "normal" gas.

Take care, Bill

Bill

I usually run B/P Shell or Chevron and average around 13mpg. Last week I filled up with Racetrack gas and got 15.72 in all city driving. I don't know if its the gas? This time I filled up with Shell again so we will see if it sticks. I would love to get 15.72 avg.

Originally Posted By: wavinwayne
I've never had any problems with any vehicle running on Chevron gas.

YMMV
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: Eddie
I had problems with Amoco a few years back. The fools saved some money by mixing the 87 with diesel. Talk about hard starting.

I surmise today they mix some 87 into diesel to save $$$?

Originally Posted By: mcrn
I usually run B/P Shell or Chevron and average around 13mpg. Last week I filled up with Racetrack gas and got 15.72 in all city driving. I don't know if its the gas? This time I filled up with Shell again so we will see if it sticks. I would love to get 15.72 avg.

racetrack gas probably doesn't have ethanol like pump gas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back