Becoming an Amsoil dealer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got the packet in the mail from Amsoil about becoming a sales person. What are the pros and cons of this besides making some extra cash each month?

Do it with integrity like our two Amsoil sponsors do and there is no down side.

Do it with b.s. like a lot of reps do and you will sink before you can swim.

My personal advise from over 25-years experience in that cut throat world, never bad mouth the competition, and never tell someone they are foolish for using what ever brand they are using. Sell your product on its merit.

Service, service, service the heck out of your customers. The Golden Rule is a good rule to follow when dealing with customers.

Last edited:
If you don't know the answer to a questions from a customer, tell the truth. Amsoil's corporate folks should be able to help you answer any question a customer has. If a customer ever feels you're being the slightest bit sleezy with them, goodbye sale.

And don't expect to make very much money doing this on the side.

Those are my only two suggestions.

If all you want to do is get a better price, just become a Preferred Customer. It costs $10 for 6 months, but there are dealers who will even cover that cost for you if you look.

I signed up as PC under Pablo, even tho I could have gotten the free deal, cuz I figured that was my small way of supporting this site.

That would also let you get your feet wet with the company without committing to a dealership.

At this point, I'm impressed with both the products and the company. Time will tell if that changes.

Last edited:
Johnny has it. The only thing you can sell them is service. Deliver it in mass quantities. If you don't know the answer, tell them you can find out.

Don't promote anything that isn't going to make sense in terms of value to them. This may mean that someone who can't break out of the 3k/3m prison NEEDS a top tier oil to manage longer OCI's.

Don't turn it into a "religion". This is a mistake, imo. Sure, once you get along there's a great feeling of belonging to a group of those who have managed to "get over the hump" ..but keep things in perspective.

My neighbor just placed a $350 order. I gave him the straight comparisons of choosing/using my products over others. I even said, "Now this will hold up in service a very long time (ATF) ..but if you're going to swap it out annually, then there's no reason to pay that much". I made the gear oil and transmission lube (for his stick application) without reservations just due to the lower cost and superior properties/benefits AND the limited price point difference for such an infrequent service item. On the oils (he has a Cummins), I stated that if he was going to adhere to the recommended OCI, then he would not get much out of it. When he's ready to graduate to bypass filtration and synthetic lubes, I'll be there if he needs them.
21.gif

I'm clearly not the most knowledgeable person on many aspects of lubrication ..but I don't mind admitting it when I run into a question that I can't answer. What I DO KNOW is usually more than enough to handle customer needs. It's an education (for myself) in perpetual progress.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back