01 Honda Accord J30A1 V6 experts, input please!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Guys my gf recently picked up an 01 Honda Accord EX V6...just wanted to get some input as far as fluids are concerned!

1. What kind of fluids should I use? Engine, Trans, Coolant, etc?

2. Can anybody recommend a website for OEM honda parts? A reputable internet based parts department that is...

3. Anybody have links to DIY repairs for the J30A1?

Anyway, those are my 3 main questions...my first question is the most serious one...I mean when I read the owners manual, it says to use ONLY Honda genuine fluids...and that includes engine oil! And if Honda fluid isn't use, please use it as temporary replacement and switch to genuine when you get the chance...is this an obvious marketing tactic?

Now I realize the newer auto trannies, like the one in my mother's 05 toyota camry, REQUIRE the genuine toyota fluid or else transmission failure can occur...but what about this 01 Honda Accord v6?

I wouldnt chance it with honda ATs... they can be very unreliable.

Engine oil, I wouldnt worry about, but honda specific PS fluid is a must.

For the transmission I would use Amsoil ATF, for power steering fluid, I would use Honda OEM. Engine, I would use Havoline, Pennzoil Platinum, or another SM-rated oil of your choice.

anybody have recommendations for websites that sell cheap OEM parts? Including fluids?

I bought most parts for my Lexus LS400, MB E430 and Honda S2000 from importecparts for the last 6-7 years. Their price is very competitive with any other online and free ground shipping for orders more than $50.

http://www.hondapartsdeals.com for OEM parts. Buy the fluids locally. Fluids are expensive to ship, so any discounts you get online will be negated by the cost of shipping.

Use Honda Type II for coolant, and you can use whatever "equivalent" products for the other items. Since it's an 01, it's due for a timing belt job (even if it has not reached 105k), which consists of a new timing belt, water pump, drive belts, spark plugs and a complete valve adjustment.

Also, save for a transmission replacement. It's almost guaranteed that the 01's transmission will fail before 150k. If you're lucky it'll fail soon, because if it fails now there's a good chance that Honda will replace it for labor only or at no cost. Otherwise you're out $2500-$3k for either a remanufactured transmission or a rebuild.

anybody recommend these two items? they are spark plugs on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/98-02-HON...emZ260288967797

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/98-02-HON...emZ260291082213

the owners manual recommends denso or ngk...should I go with these or the ones from the dealer? I have a feeling the dealership ones are arm and leg
frown.gif

No, those aren't the long life plugs.

You'll need to use one of these plugs.

1. Denso Double Platinum #3246 (PKJ16CRL11), $6.25/plug at RockAuto.

2. NGK Premium Platinum #4363 (PZFR5F11), $10.98/plug at RockAuto.

RockAuto also has a 5% off coupon code if you check around.

I noticed that the Honda catalog has the NGK one listed in their system, but the Denso is probably fine as well.

Originally Posted By: steven88
anybody recommend these two items? they are spark plugs on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/98-02-HON...emZ260288967797

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/98-02-HON...emZ260291082213

the owners manual recommends denso or ngk...should I go with these or the ones from the dealer? I have a feeling the dealership ones are arm and leg
frown.gif

Don't buy any of those. Check partsamerica.com. I bought my Iridium for $5 each. h22 MANUAL SWAP FTW!!

Part No.
NGK Spark Plug: Plug No. ZFR5FIX-11
Iridium IX Spark Plug: Vtec; Dohc; Gap @ .044
Warranty: 3 YR REPL

$4.99

Originally Posted By: dorkiedoode
Don't buy any of those. Check partsamerica.com. I bought my Iridium for $5 each. h22 MANUAL SWAP FTW!!

Part No.
NGK Spark Plug: Plug No. ZFR5FIX-11
Iridium IX Spark Plug: Vtec; Dohc; Gap @ .044
Warranty: 3 YR REPL

$4.99

Like I said before, the Iridium IX plugs will work, but they are not designed to last 105k before replacement. If he decides to use them, he'll have to replace them every 60k or so.

I've got an '02 V6. Run exclusively Honda fluids, with the exception of your choice of engine oil. Don't let anybody "flush" the transmission. Drain and fill the trans with Honda ATF only. Start now and drain the ATF and fill once a year. Check with a Honda dealer,now, to see if the trans is covered by a Honda dealer bulletin. Let the Honda dealer do all the work including annual inspections to gain some goodwill.

I recently pulled the original spark plugs out of my wifes 01' Accord 4 cylinder with 80K and they looked so good I put them right back in. I now plan to change them at 100K. If it was a V6 I probably would have changed them due to the difficulty involved but the 4 cyl. is simple to change. The car still runs flawlessly but I am concerned about the A/T (which Honda has warrantied until 93 months from purchase or 109K because of a
class-action lawsuit).

As far as fluids I've used Honda ATF, Honda PS fluid, Peak Global Extended Life coolant and a variety of motor oils. I've used 0w20,5w20,5w30 and 10w30 and all seem to work well. I do notice the engine revs more freely on the thinner oils.

AutoZone sells NGK spark plugs for cheaper than the dealership... I'd check that out. I know the plugs for my car cost ~$4 a piece at the dealer, and at Autozone they're only ~$2 for the exact same plug, without the Honda writing on the box.

Pull out a plug and see what the part number is. If they are the factory iridium plugs, thats what I would buy. The iridium plugs for my 2005 Accord were $20/each at the dealer but $10/each at Advance.

As others have said, I would do the timing belt/water pump soon. I would also do two drain and fills on the trans. Use all factory fluids except brake fluid and engine oil.

The IX plugs do not have a chunk of platinum on the ground electrode. Thus, they will not last nearly as long as the double platinum plugs.

[censored] they are $12.55 a pop!?!

I'll just go aftermarket and change it out more often...it only takes like 15 min to change out plugs on this engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back