Corolla Ticking - Using 10w40 and Auto RX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bearing, lifter, rod, or injector? Are all of your vacuum lines attached correctly? Did you check the color of your spark plugs and how old are they? Do you have access to a stethoscope to pinpoint the location? Does the 98 have a timing chain or was that the first year for a timing belt?

Last edited:
I'm gonna listen to it agian, but it sounded loudest from underneath the car last time. It does have a timing chain. The spark plugs looked ok to me, just grey. I don't know how long they've been in though.

Also, when I was under the car I could swear it was coming from the manifold area. Could this possibly be an exhaust leak?

I know it's not going to relieve your anxiety, but I'd suggest just riding it out. The noise is the result of something draining down faster than it's supplied with oil (imo). Once the supply feed gets cleaned up (over the various flow division options that it has at that point in the system), it should be back in balance and quiet down.

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
I know it's not going to relieve your anxiety, but I'd suggest just riding it out. The noise is the result of something draining down faster than it's supplied with oil (imo). Once the supply feed gets cleaned up (over the various flow division options that it has at that point in the system), it should be back in balance and quiet down.

I'm hoping you're right. I'm planning on riding it out till I'm into the next oil change/auto rx rinse and see what happens.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 105
I'm gonna listen to it agian, but it sounded loudest from underneath the car last time. It does have a timing chain. The spark plugs looked ok to me, just grey. I don't know how long they've been in though.

Here's what a bad timing chain auto-tensioner sounds like in a Honda S2000:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwFVZADoyx0

Sounds like a hydraulic lash adjuster that is not pumping up, possibly due to small piece of trash trying to circulate through the lifter and to the oil filter.

Originally Posted By: INDYMAC
Originally Posted By: 105

Here's what a bad timing chain auto-tensioner sounds like in a Honda S2000:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwFVZADoyx0

It sounded like the noise from the s2000 didn't change at all when it was reved.

Originally Posted By: bmwtechguy
Sounds like a hydraulic lash adjuster that is not pumping up, possibly due to small piece of trash trying to circulate through the lifter and to the oil filter.

That's an interesting diagnosis with some possible merit IMO. I have not had this problem (yet) on my AP2. I am aware of many AP1 owners that have experienced it though. They have found that by replacing the TCT, the noise goes away. But for some, the noise returns after 10K miles or so. There is some speculation that a worm gear is getting worn out and modifications are ensuing. There is also speculation that M1 is causing the problem (probably just anecdotal though). Anyways, I've been lucky so far, I guess.

UPDATE

So far I've completed one clean and two rinse phases, and now I'm near the end of my 2nd clean phase. The ticking was actually getting quieter all through rinse phases but now its come back with a vengance just a couple days ago after a 300 mile road trip. I had taken a couple road trips during the rinses without it getting worse so I think it is the Auto RX causing the noise. What do you think?

I don't know, and I know its no help, but I wouldn't worry about it. Corolla's are incredibly tough cars that will take horendous abuse and just keep going. A bit of extra noise on an 11-year old Corolla is nothing. Just keep giving it semi-regular oil changes/top-ups and it will keep going a LOT longer than you want it to...

I ran Supertech 10w-40 synthetic for 3,000 miles in my 97 Corolla and the only thing I noticed was the car seemed to run a little warmer.

Last edited:
the engine in that model year rolla is NOTORIOUS for burning oil. there is no doubt that its your bearings man. you prolly ran the the oil too low and starved them. do your research on the toyota 1zz and you will find out what im talking about. no auto rx is gonna fix this problem. only a rebuild will.

Originally Posted By: ekko
...there is no doubt that its your bearings man.... you prolly ran the the oil too low and starved them.... no auto rx is gonna fix this problem.only a rebuild will.

Dang. If I could diagnose engines over the internet, I'd buy BITOG.

Originally Posted By: Zaedock
...there is no doubt that its your bearings man.... you prolly ran the the oil too low and starved them.... no auto rx is gonna fix this problem.only a rebuild will.

I'd go in half with ya.

AD

Originally Posted By: Zaedock

Don't you know the power of World Wide Web? You can find anything and fix anything on DubyaDubyaDubya.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back