Yikes! 12.5k on Motomaster Synthetic... safe?

Status
Not open for further replies.
haha ya... my Mom is like that with her car. never thinks about anything other than driving it and filling it with gas.

she would drive it forever and not think of an oil change. she'd use chewed up wiper blades and not think of replacing them. she'd drive around on a totally flat tire until it wouldn't go any more... lol

Yeah, but people like that make TPMS mandatory. Pretty soon we'll have wiper blade sensors. It's ridiculous.

Originally Posted By: BennyL
and how does it work with wearcheck? do i go there, or mail a samples?

Yea, you can just take it right there. Sample receiving area is in the back door. You can pay right there via cash or credit card. They'll set you up with a Webcheck account so you can see your analysis on-line.

Originally Posted By: MGregoir
Johnny, Canadian Tire oils are made by Shell, and there are varying grades. All have been verified to be Shell by the MSDS. There is a less expensive line that seems to be private label oil carried by a few different Canadian retailers, and then a higher line meant to be comparable to brand name oils and priced similarly.

As far as anyone can tell, the better of the two Canadian Tire oils, branded as Motomaster Formula 1, is equivalent to the FormulaShell product. I don't know that for a fact but it seems to be the case, and in a Canadian Tire owned parts chain, PartSource, they stock a full line of FormulaShell oils in the place of it. Same pricing, same sizing, and same variety. PartSource doesn't want to be caught out as owned by Canadian Tire, so the Motomaster branded products are not sold there. I figure this is more than a coincidence, as the pricing is the same, and other than transmission fluid fundamentally nobody in Canada carries FormulaShell products.

I can't prove it without Canadian Tire releasing spec sheets but the stars seem to align for that story.

I was comparing Motomaster products to Shell products at Canadian tire. I noticed that the batch codes/dates on the motomaster products take the format of the codes on the Shell products. They are also located in the same place. Interesting, the Shell rotella 15w-40 product has its batch/date codes laser cut onto the label of the Rotella jug. "Coincidentally", the motomaster 15w-40 does too...and has similar codes. Even the wording on the labels as far as certifications and applications is identical. There are similarities among the marine and two stroke products as well (bottles/date/batch codes, where they are located on the bottles, and how the codes are printed on...again, it looks like the same machinery at the same production line is making the codes).

It is acknowledged that shell has the contract to produce all of Canadian Tire's store brand products. I believe they are comparable to the equivalent shell product.

BennyL:

Are you sending the oil out for UOA? I'd love to see a UOA on syntec past 7-8k miles....not many, if any, that are that long. I have a coupon for $5.00 off off a 5-litre jug of Syntec from C-T, and combining that w/some C-T money, I'm probably going to buy and use some in my car soon. I'm thinking of taking it to 12k (20k kilometers), and I'd love to see if it will make it!

sure, i'll do the UOA.

blackstone kit STILL hasn't arrived, so i think i am going to go the wearcheck route, as per va3ux's recommendation.

i need to call and see if they are open on weekends, cuz i can't go during the week.

another question: i've never done a UOA and don't know much about them. are they all the same from different labs. will the wearcheck UOA give me the same info that a blackstone UOA would?

They should all be close enough that it doesn't matter for the 'important' readings....

Really appreciate this UOA...I've always felt ever the 'cheaper' syns can survive 10-12k mile drains, but everyone on here usually runs them no more than 6-8k miles...be interesting to see if this is the case, even under 'severe' service.

good news, boys! the blackstone kit has arrived. i will be sending the sample tonight. shouldn't be TOO much longer before we get this sweet UOA back... hehehehe...

Check your local Walmart. Once again, my local one was clearing out the "old-style" (still Starburst SM-rated) jugs of Pennzoil Platinum for $19.98. Nothing against Motomaster Synthetic, but I'd wait til the quarts go down on sale for 40-50% off (happens at least once a year) for that brand, and get the PP for any interim jobs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back