Protecting tools from rust

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
Hello,

I live in an area with a high water table. We dont have water in the basement, but it is always a bit humid. We have dehumidifiers, but they have to cycle a lot.

I see slight surface rust on some tools. I now have a large tool chest to store my tools in, but moist air will of course diffuse in.

Baby powder makes a mess, gun oils and similar are too messy for tools I use around the house, and I dont want anything hazardous.

I suppose dessicant bags in drawers might be good, but Im curious if there is anything else... some hammers come coated in a thin layer of something clear - varnish? Is there something like that which would work? What about a mat that has some sort of anti-rust compound... I assume they arent the best things for you, and these compounds would get on handles, etc. too, and then get into your skin.

Any suggestions???

Thanks,

JMH

The varnish-like material might be cosmolene. I'm not personally familiar with it, but I read that it hardens, so that is probably not what you really want. No suggestions on anything better.

Just give em' a nice coat of some light lubricating oil like WD-40 before putting them in the drawer. Goes a long way toward keeping rust at bay. It's generally only when the steel is clean and dry that it will develop surface rust.

What I do is grab a rag, spray the tools, give em' a wipe so they're not dripping, but still coated. Works just fine.

+1 to WD-40. In a test of steel plates exposed to salt air I saw, WD-40 came out on top over very expensive alternatives. I use it on all my sockets, ratchets, wrenches, etc. I have even used it on the surface of my guns, but I prefer Eezox for my firearms.

I've been using Amsoil MP and I think it's the best I've ever used. not greasy or waxy once dry.

any type of dissicant will only be effective if they are closed up in a semi airtight case, most tool boxes aren't even close.

Originally Posted By: tom slick
I've been using Amsoil MP and I think it's the best I've ever used. not greasy or waxy once dry.

any type of dissicant will only be effective if they are closed up in a semi airtight case, most tool boxes aren't even close.

Dessicant bags, gels, potions will not work on outdoor tools left in a garage tool box. WD-40, MP, Break Free CLP, any light oil will prevent rust in the garage.

this isnt outdoors, and the dessicant is regenerable in the oven.

Id prefer to not have anything waxy or coating it unless it is hard and unnoticable...

Thanks!

JMH

I buy gallon cans of WD40 and use it in a spray bottle. It's my general purpose initial cleaner / rust prevention, used on hand tools, yard to0ls, the lawn mower, etc.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
this isnt outdoors, and the dessicant is regenerable in the oven.

Id prefer to not have anything waxy or coating it unless it is hard and unnoticable...

Thanks!

JMH

I own 25 blocks of the microwave regenerated pink to blue plastic bead blocks and they turn pink much to quickly, and this is in nearly new GI ammunition cans with new gaskets all the way around and stored with a hundred pounds on top of them (as airtight as you can possibly get). I use these desiccant blocks in ADDITION to a dehumidifier running 24/7 AND Eezox to protect various expensive firearms and ammunition.

Without running a dehumidifier, the desiccant blocks turn to pink (indicating saturation point) in about 2 days. With dehumidifier running consistently in a closed off room they stay blue for about a month. I am not an expert in this area, but have spent a lot of money protecting my firearms/ammo from the ravages of moisture.

I am now currently using copper coated bags from Birchwood Casey that are estimated to keep things rust free for about 20 years.

Last edited:
Look for VCI (vapor corrosion inhibitors) type emitters. They let off a vapor that attaches to metal and prevents rust. I think Bullfrog is one brand, but there are others. I don't use them as rust isn't a big problem here, but they are typically used for the application you are describing.

ETA: Eezox is probably the best of the "dry" coatings for rust.

Last edited:
Get plastic container, such as food storage type, with lid. Saturate wash cloth, or shop towell in WD40 or similar. Wipe tools occasionally, or after use. If this is too "messy" for you, probably need to stay out of the garage anyhow.
27.gif

Bob

LOL Bob...I do agree with you.

I did that with my reloading dies, and it was partly successful,

Stuff with lanolin is good for rust prevention, and can be made fairly non greasy. I've got a synthetic chamois impregnated with petroleum jelly and lanolin that I wipe down my firearms with before I put them away.

Wife and I ran a reloading business years ago. We had the basement waterproofed after buying our house. The waterproofing took so much moisture out of the air that the gun powder was effected. It got drier and I've never had rust issues with dies or firearms. When I sold the business all was in fine condition.

Originally Posted By: alreadygone
If this is too "messy" for you, probably need to stay out of the garage anyhow.
27.gif

But some tasks, i dont really care to have residues to worry about... that is why something "dried on" is preferable, at least in theory. Additionally, many of these compounds arent the nicest, so less mobile coatings are preferred because I like to minimize how much bad stuff gets absorbed into the skin. I dont mind getting dirty, I just want to minimize stuff that i can avoid... it might make the difference between cancer and none down the line!

JMH

Shannow's concoction sounds effective, and not too health threatening, if one were to throw caution to the wind a little of the Eezox stuff could be added so it'd be more hi-tech.

Bob

Originally Posted By: alreadygone
Shannow's concoction sounds effective, and not too health threatening, if one were to throw caution to the wind a little of the Eezox stuff could be added so it'd be more hi-tech.

Bob

Eezox on my guns leaves no oily residue.

I was just in Lowes yesterday and noticed they sell anti-corrosion mats for tool box drawers. They look just like the normal drawer liners only they are supposed to out-gas some kind of corrosion inhibitor. I never noticed these before and have no idea how well they work but it might be worth a try.

Let us know how they work.
grin2.gif

About dessicant bags:

I was in the supermarket the other day and noticed that they sell a crystalline looking kitty litter. It looks suspiciously like the contents of dessicant bags that come with consumer electronics.

Does anybody know whether the kitty litter stuff (that they sell by the gallon) is the same as the dessicant in the bags?

I have a need to make some home-made dessicant bags. Big'uns. Not the tiny ones you get when you buy a camera.

Thanks in advance for anyone's thoughts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back