Will this work? (De-alcoholizing fuel)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oregon recently made a law banning all gas without 10% ethanol at all times. It used to be just in the winter and I could get a supply of good gas before they stopped selling it.

Anyway, I'd like to create my own supply of alcohol free fuel based on Chevron 92 octane with 10% ethanol about 5 gallons at a time to use in my small engines and other alcohol-picky things.

If I simply add water to the gas/alky, mix, and then siphon off the remaining gasoline on top, will I have removed all the ethanol?

I've had the thought for my 2-stroke bike engine. Alcohol and castor mixes are not so fine.

But ideally you should run it across some drying material.

It should work, but the first time a fuel analysis would be smart.

You are likely to loose some of the additives. Detergents, stabilizers (antioxidants, demulsifiers, or emulsifiers), oxygenates (like ethanol) and corrosion inhibitors will have some propensity to follow the water.

from what i understand, the 'raw' gasoline in E10 is not very runnable without the ethanol. It's low octane and composed of heavier chain components so you could think of it leaning a little toward the diesel scale. A Shell engineer told me it would run really rough w/o the ethanol and maybe not at all, it's called BOB and CARBOB in calif

Originally Posted By: [RT
ProjUltraZ]from what i understand, the 'raw' gasoline in E10 is not very runnable without the ethanol.

Yeah, I'm sure they use it to boost the octane, so that's why I wanted to start with 92.

But, it sounds like there's other problems so maybe I'll try to find some av gas. Or maybe I'll have a sample tested....

Hmmm...another thought, what if I added a dose of concentrated Techron back into the de-alcoholed gas? Would that replace the other additives that might get removed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back