Corolla Ticking - Using 10w40 and Auto RX

Status
Not open for further replies.

In my 98 corolla I started the 1st phase of Auto RX about 1200 miles ago with Supertech 10w40. Just a few days ago after a 200 mile road trip it started ticking loudly untill the car warms up fully, usually after 10 minutes of driving in the morning. This car has a sewing machine sound as do most corollas but this is much louder. The untrained ear could hear this from 10 yards away. The auto RX site says noise is normal and will go away during the rinse phase, but some people are telling me the 10w40 is too thick for the corolla and I need to get some 5w30 in there. I was using the 10w40 to try to reduce consumption. I have 107000 miles.

Last edited:
I was actually thinking of doing that. I already have the quart of 5w30 ready. I guess 5w20 would be better in this case. Its sucks to drive a car that sounds like sh*t! :D

Last edited:
Since I started the treatment I havent changed the filter. So your saying just change the filter without draining the oil?

Originally Posted By: INDYMAC
How many times have you changed the oil filter? If you haven't yet, that's probably what's wrong.

Ditto that, I changed it many times during my 2 bottle arx run on a subaru and the ticking went away each time. Makes a difference what type of filter also. Also the ticking did go away after the arx run was all done.

a neighbor of mine once RX-ed an 88 Chevy Truck(305 V8) that was BADLY sludged up. It did make things a little noisy for a brief period, then quieted down later on.

Maybe the long trip cleared up something inside the engine, making it noisy. Give it a little more time, maybe the knocking will go away.

If you need to top off you can always thin out the oil a hair, with 5w20 or 5w30, as was posted.

Originally Posted By: 105
Since I started the treatment I havent changed the filter. So your saying just change the filter without draining the oil?

Yes. Just change your filter and then top off with oil. Use the same filter brand as you used before, if there was no ticking noise when you first used it. Cold engine start-up noise (rattling) is how I tell when to change the oil filters during ARX clean and rinse phases. Good luck!

Stuff cleans up at different rates based on a few factors, I suspect. I got a few noises I never had before when I used Auto-Rx for the first time. It kinda freaks you out, but it passes. If you think you had really heavy deposits, change the filter as others have suggested.

10w40 is too thick it can starve the bearings of oil in some cases and in all cases when thick oil is used the bearing temperature rises... If that was my car i would change the oil to a good 5w30 and a new filter like the purolator and if there is no damage done from your flushing than leave it alone sometimes an engine has sludge and the cleaners sent it floating around the engine and that creates more problems.. we just had to rebuild a 2001 nissan with 89,000 miles on it because the person that just purchased it said the old owners changed the oil once a year so it must be dirty and got a can of gunk and quickly cleaned all the dirt and junk out and destroyed the bearings after we told him just change the oil a couple of times and it would be fine. Maybe use one quart of synthetic with dino.. this car ran perfect before he "fixed it" good luck

UPDATE

I changed the filter and topped off with a half quart of 5w20 last night. The noise is still there. I guess I'll give it some time to see if it goes away. I think if I keep adding thinner oil as it burns away it should thin it out enough. I burns a quart every 1000 miles. In the mean time I'm gonna check the pulley system out, because a few people have told me it could be that.
My steering wheel has felt a little tight the past few mornings and making squeeking noises when I turn it. The fluid looks good so maybe a bad pulley is starving it. It is a little colder in the morning so it could just be that. I don't notice it in the afternoon.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: XCELERATIONRULES
Never use anything heavier than 10w30 in newer vehicles.
nuff said.

Uh, what is that based on? Lots of cars call for 40 weight oils from the manufacturer. I own 2 of them.

Originally Posted By: 105
UPDATE

I changed the filter and topped off with a half quart of 5w20 last night. The noise is still there. I guess I'll give it some time to see if it goes away. I think if I keep adding thinner oil as it burns away it should thin it out enough. I burns a quart every 1000 miles. In the mean time I'm gonna check the pulley system out, because a few people have told me it could be that.
My steering wheel has felt a little tight the past few mornings and making squeeking noises when I turn it. The fluid looks good so maybe a bad pulley is starving it. It is a little colder in the morning so it could just be that. I don't notice it in the afternoon.

What type of filter is it? I noticed during rinse phase fram extra guard for me started ticking in as little as 50 miles after changing vs. wix about 700 miles. Probably not the cause but I'm just curious what filter you are using.

Originally Posted By: saaber1
What type of filter is it? I noticed during rinse phase fram extra guard for me started ticking in as little as 50 miles after changing vs. wix about 700 miles. Probably not the cause but I'm just curious what filter you are using.

supertech filter and oil.

As soon as I get home today I'm gonna take off the belt to see if that solves it. Hopefully my power will be back on at home so I can keep you guys up to date. Ike sent 70 mph winds up here to Louisville, Ky and knock out 200,000 peoples power. Mine has been out all week.

Last edited:
again 5w30 with a good oil filter as long as you did not blow it up with all the experements
corolla engines are good for over 200,000 miles and if all engines were built that way i would be out of the engine business.
A word to the wise if it aint broke dont fix it Period!
That engine calls for 5w30 not 10w40 or 5w20 5w30 is really what toyota calls for.. Hope your engine is ok

i agree with that but follow the engine builders guidelines and use what they tell you some people think 5w20 oil is too thin for the ford modular v8 and the new dodge hemi but we found out that 5w20 seems to be the best wear wise and even most of the New Jersey State Troopers are using 5w20 now , they also tried the rest and learned the hard way through blown out oil filters in those engines that the 5w20 is a great oil. Although i have seen some use 5w30 with no problems 5w20 is a great oil as long as it meets sm gf-4 and has the certified starburst symbol..In the old days thicker was better now with modern oils thin is in.

I took the belt off and no luck. I got under the car and its definately louder there and near the rear of the motor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back