How much octain boost to add?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tomorrow I'm going on a long motorcycle ride. There is only 1 gas station in the area we will be in and they only have 87 octain.

Carrying gas is not an option.
My bike has 11.5-1 compression and requires 93 octain although 91 is all thats available here. It seems to do fine on the 91.

I bought a bottle of octain boost. All of the ones I saw contained MMT which I understand is some nasty stuff.

Anyway I also know that the boost will make 87 into 87.1 and not 88 or 89 unless I really dump it in.

How much octain boost per gallon would be safe? This is what I bought.

http://www.stp.com/fuel_octane.html

Originally Posted By: chevrofreak
Are you going to be riding at a fairly high elevation? At higher elevations you need less octane.
No we will be leaving home @ 3100ft and will be near sea level most of the day.

Running 87 at sea level in something specced for 93 just doesn't sound like something I would be willing to do. It would take a lot of octane boost to raise it enough, and it might actually make it run worse due to high levels of other [censored] they put in it.

You could probably mix some 99% isopropyl alcohol in it, if you can find the stuff.

i thought mmt is bad and bad from most of place in US. Canada only allow it after the company sue Canadian government based on NAFTA; other NAFTA [censored] is C Plus and Mountain Dew is suing Canadian government year after year for disallow it to add caffeine.

Amsoil's Octane Boost raises the Octane by 7-8 points when used as directed.

The bike lived. I put in 1.4 gallons of 87 octain regular and 1/2 bottle of the octain boost.

I paid lots of attention to any new sounds and I did not hear anything. I made sure not to bog it under load.

It was running kinda funky though. Would ocasionally miss under power and pop on decel which it has never done.

I chalked it up to the low octain or the booster stuff.

Once we stopped several other guys commented on how there bikes were doing the same thing and none of them used octain boost.

Must be some nasty gas in Hinkley, Ca.

Originally Posted By: chevrofreak
Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie
Toluene.

Another good option, but getting very expensive.

And thank the meth heads for making it harder to even get. Here in pittsburgh they limit purchase of it in the local HD stores. And no smaller containers anymore.
Back when it was cheaper I loved it for its ability to melt off crud on parts just by letting them soak for a few minutes.

Originally Posted By: tpitcher
Amsoil's Octane Boost raises the Octane by 7-8 points when used as directed.

which makes 87 in 87.8.

make that 70 or 80 ".>'s"
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
grin2.gif

Seriously? I need an alternative after seeing the unbelievable buildup from running straight AV gas for two years.

Originally Posted By: BuickGN
Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
grin2.gif

Seriously? I need an alternative after seeing the unbelievable buildup from running straight AV gas for two years.

Ted/s was objecting to the term "points" ..in financial and accounting nomenclature "a point" is something to the right of the decimal "point". Hence if you elevate 87 octane 8 points ..it would mean 87.8. A play on words. While what was intended was going from 87 to 95 octane.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back