GM Type stop leak

Status
Not open for further replies.
The ginger root---crushed almond kind.
Does it or doesnt it plug heater cores?

Too much of any stopleak will plug heater cores and radiators.

Some people put it in as a preventative measure... which is a BAD idea IMO.

That said, the GM stopleak pellets work very well in my experience. But I'd only use them as a temporary measure (followed by a thorogh flush).

I used Bars to stop a heater core leak in my Dad's truck about 4 years ago. It's still leak leak free now and the heater works like a wood stove.

Some people put it in as a preventative measure... which is a BAD idea IMO. (quote)

'Some people' would include OEM's like GM and Ford who put it in at the factory.

That said, the GM stopleak pellets work very well in my experience. But I'd only use them as a temporary measure (followed by a thorogh flush). [/quote]

I agree with you on both points. My experience with Barsleaks is that it works well but I would only use it if I had a leak. It has been known to keep the notorious I/M leaks on GM 3.1 and 3.4's in check until repaired. This prevents engine damage due to anti-freeze mixing with the oil.

It works but be prepared to buy a new rad.
33.gif

At one stage, it was recommended to drop in 3 pellets with each coolant and waterpump change for Holdens in Australia. They still sell it. Its obviously safe to use.

Originally Posted By: Greaser
It works but be prepared to buy a new rad.
33.gif

Haven't had to buy a new rad, let alone the leaking heater core that the stop leak fixed.

The trick is to install it when the rad is empty, then refill about half way and run the engine with the heat on high until the thermostat opens so the stuff will get circulated through the system.

I'm using the Prestone super stop leak in my truck now. It does seem to have slowed the loss of coolant.

It is a kind of clay/water mix thin goo. I spilled some on the radiator and it did form up a nice coating on the outside after the rad. got hot.

If i remember correctly GM recommended putting the tabs in the lower hose and not the radiator on the 4.6 North Star.I don't know if this applies to all GM cars but it may have something to do with radiator clogging.From what i understand the GM pellets are the same formula as bars Leak Gold only in pellets,maybe some here know more about that,anyway Ive been running GM pellets in the 99 Caddy now as per GM specs for 150k with no issues,nothing clogged.

My dad put this in his old commuter Datsun 310 sort of as a joke when it had a blown headgasket. It leaked bad enough that if the car sat for a couple days it would hydrolock the motor and we would have to pull a plug and crank it over to get the water out. On cold days it was embarassing so much steam was coming from the exhaust. To my dismay, it actually fixed the headgasket probem for a couple weeks at a time. When it would start consuming water again, we added more stopleak. The car wasn't worth a headgasket replacement so this got us through for a few months until we gave the car away.

In my old 95 K1500 owners manual it was part of the coolant change procedure to add the GM tabs. I think they are safe for preventative use, but don't know firsthand about their use for leaks, or in other coolant mixtures besides green.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back