Any replacements for $tabil??

Status
Not open for further replies.

RnR

I'm a little ticked about the pricing on Stabil... I pulled a 16oz. can off of my shelf and noted it was priced at about $5.30. Admittedly, that was a few years ago and the world now being what it is, it's still a surprise to me that a mere 8oz at ChinaMart is going for $4.24 (~$8.50 for an equivalent 16oz. amount - and I noted many bottles were priced at $4.98 too).

Man... I'm open to cheaper alternatives to this Stabil stuff. How about Chanel No. 5??

MMO claims to act as a fuel stabilizer. It's not on the bottle but their web site has info and dosage amounts.

Have you actually checked the price of a 16 oz. bottle. I will bet that the price is not $8.50, or 2 times the price of the 8 oz. bottle.

I will bet that this is just the classic marketing scheme of bigger is cheaper. It often costs pennies to double the size.
Check out this website:

http://www.boatersland.com/fuelstab.html

8 oz. is $4.99. 16 ox. is 5.99, and 32ox. is 10.99.

Or.... $.62, $.37, and $.34 cents per ounce.

As most women will tell you, regarding most things, size does matter.....Stabil is no exception.

Originally Posted By: doitmyself
Have you actually checked the price of a 16 oz. bottle. I will bet that the price is not $8.50, or 2 times the price of the 8 oz. bottle.

As most women will tell you, regarding most things, size does matter.....Stabil is no exception.

Yep... I checked both sizes at WM and it appears that a price increase is about to hit. IIRC, the higher price (on say, the 8oz. bottle) was already reflected on the 16oz. bottle (twice the higher price) within just a cent or two.

WM had two different prices on the stocked 8oz. bottles, but fortunately the lower price (on the shelf sticker) was automatically charged at checkout.

As hard as it is for me to imagine, perhaps the price was recently lowered a tad? Hmmmm.... Dunno - it gets confusing when there are two prices on the products!

There is a shelf life on Stabil, once the bottle is opened. Make sure that you buy only what you can use during that timeframe.

Originally Posted By: RnR
...............ChinaMart ............

Could you please direct to the store that does not sell stuff made in China?

Originally Posted By: Bear
I use PRI-G. A $30 bottle (from Camping World) treats 512 gallons. And the stuff can and will bring life to old gas.

Last time I spent some serious time RE: PRI-G, I got no answer RE: what is it made with, and MSDS doesn't indicate anything new.

Based on the conclusion I've drawn so far, I pretty much doubt that PRI-G is capable of reviving chemically-decomposed gasoline to a "fresh" status, especially the volatile aromatics HC within.

Here in beaverland, we actually use something called "1,2,4-trimethylbenzene" which is known to be somewhat carcinogenic but is best as fuel stabiliser. A bottle of 500ml in crraapytires sometimes go on sale for about 5 bux, good for hundreds of litres.

Q.

Originally Posted By: milwaukee
Originally Posted By: RnR
...............ChinaMart ............

Could you please direct to the store that does not sell stuff made in China?

I doubt that one exists anymore...

Originally Posted By: INDYMAC
There is a shelf life on Stabil, once the bottle is opened. Make sure that you buy only what you can use during that timeframe.

Interesting to note. However, I barely start my Sunfire anymore (once every two months), and a tank mixed with a few caps of Stabil has always brought her back to life!

(Provided the battery is charged, of course.
LOL.gif
)

Been using Stabil for years, the red stuff, now the green anti-ethanol stuff and it has worked on four wheelers, vehicles, my outboard every single year, etc. Per Stabil's own site, the shelf life on Stabil is 2 years, so I think you can hold it on to it for quite awhile prior to using. It is actually pretty cheap insurance over paying for gummed up carbs on an outboard or a quad. I use it every year on a snow blower and a lawn mower and have NEVER had a problem. I found some stuff called Starbrite, from StarTron that is a fuel enzyme but haven't seen any difference using it with Stabil.

My outboard mechanic says he makes a boat load of cash charging people to ultra-sonically clean their outboard carbs because of people who just leave untreated fuel in there all year long.

Side note, the mechanic also said that Honda came out with a directive encouraging the use of Chevron Techron fuel additive in their four cycle outboards.

Last edited:
Does anybody know what's in Stabil, or FP, or MMO that gives it the magical power of keeping fuel fresh? Maybe one of the garage chemists here could come up with a homemade solution?

Originally Posted By: SecondMonkey
Does anybody know what's in Stabil, or FP, or MMO that gives it the magical power of keeping fuel fresh? Maybe one of the garage chemists here could come up with a homemade solution?

I'd be all for a homemade recipe like I use for a gun cleaning solvent that I dirt cheap to make at home. Stabil is good stuff and I think would be hard to exactly replicate the right amount of parts that makes the stuff work, but if anyone could do it, it would be a BITOGer!
11.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back