Mixing All makes and Models

Status
Not open for further replies.
2002 Century 140K miles, replaced hoses and another serpentine belt as preventative as we are taking a long trip. Could not find the Peak Global Extended Life AF I have been using for the past 90K miles in my Century, so I bought some Prestone all makes, models, and colors stuff. I tossed them together so I guess we will see if anything dreadful happens, I am doubtful of any negative effects as they both read almost identical on the bottles. The Peak is orange and the Prestone Green so I cannot wait to see what color I end up with.

I've been running Prestone AM&M in my 02' Century since changing the IM gasket nearly 20K ago. No problems at all. I believe it is pretty close to the original Dexcool. I don't know about mixing types of A/F but I think both claim to "mix with all other coolants". Good Luck.

I know Prestone had a specific Dexcool clone sitting right next to the all makes and models so I am hoping they are significantly different. I put theFel-Pro problem solver LIM gasket on at 83K, so far so good. I do know that the Peak global did away with all of the tan [censored] and most of the residue I always observed with Dexcool. I have had the recomended replacement radiator cap on since 50K miles. I don't care what anyone says about Dexcool, I don't like it.

Originally Posted By: lobo11
The Peak is orange and the Prestone Green so I cannot wait to see what color I end up with.

Orange.

The prestone dye is very weak, presumably to let the original dye color "shine through".

Some like it because it looks "pure" and others can finally see the grimy bottoms of their surge tanks.

if cant do a complete flush I would do several drain refills of radiator to try and get majority of the prestone in if going to be sticking with that.

I only lost about a gallon of fluid with the hose change out, so it is mostly global exteded life. I guess I really need to find some but every place I call does not sell it anymore.

Originally Posted By: lobo11
I know Prestone had a specific Dexcool clone sitting right next to the all makes and models so I am hoping they are significantly different. I put theFel-Pro problem solver LIM gasket on at 83K, so far so good. I do know that the Peak global did away with all of the tan [censored] and most of the residue I always observed with Dexcool. I have had the recomended replacement radiator cap on since 50K miles. I don't care what anyone says about Dexcool, I don't like it.

Sorry to bust your bubble... but this Prestone All-makes stuff is essentially Dexcool. Same goes for most (if not all) other brands of "all-makes" or "universal" coolant. I've never looked up the MSDS sheet for Peak... but I'd be willing to bet that it's another Dex-clone.

assuming dex-cool if properly maintained and drained periodically and refreshed would be ok to use?

Originally Posted By: 02zx9r
assuming dex-cool if properly maintained and drained periodically and refreshed would be ok to use?

As long as you drain and refill every 30k or so every coolant will be fine (unless if your water pump doesn't like the silica or phosphate, but all make coolants tends to avoid a dangerous amount of anything).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back