zMax additive for oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I use the zMax oil additive evey 4k miles in the Amsoil 5W20 oil I use. The engine only uses a quart of oil in 12k miles. This leads me to believe it's working. Any one else use this?

Originally Posted By: kaboom10
I use the zMax oil additive evey 4k miles in the Amsoil 5W20 oil I use. The engine only uses a quart of oil in 12k miles. This leads me to believe it's working. Any one else use this?

Be cool to see a UOA with that combo.

They advertise zmax like crazy on the car shows I watch on the weekends. Then again, those guys will pimp anything for a buck.

ZMax and Prolong were the best examples of saturation marketing via infomercial. Duralube kinda wrote the primer on that, I think. Tornado did a good job too.

Except for the Tornado, I imagine that they might even do something, but not for the cost of the product as it's sold ..maybe even at the price for which it's bought at by the marketing company.

aahhh.. the tornado..... i was almost going to buy that too.. thank the heavens for user test and reports.. that thing cost $60 and improved your HP and mileage by like 0.01%...

I guess the long answer to your question from everybody means NO.
By the way, have you figured out why it is using 1 qt per 12k miles?

Hxll no! I would never use/add snake oil in my vehicles, PERIOD.

Truth is, almost all the ads on late-nite TeeVee infomercials are basically useless and their only goal is to go after your mullahs.

Conspiracy aside, the ever evolving oil technologies is going alongside (if not parallel/trailing) with the ongoing development of IC engines, and as the standards become ever more stringent, so is the complexity of the oil (blend).Just wait til you read up on the soon-to-be-coming-to-a-store-near-you ILSAC GF-5 standard and you'll understand why.

Bottomline: why the heck you add those infomercial-grade snake oil and assume that it's gonna make your existing OTC (recent API/ILSAC standard) motor oil betta?

Oh, I get it. IT's your money of course....

19.gif

Q.

Last edited:
In all fairness, the infomercials are quite compelling. They're heavy duty saturation bombardments of para-facts that have the viewer "on the ropes" with only brief pauses to bombard them with softer punches ..then right back to being pummeled with the heavy duty enthusiastic voice over with quick change visuals. It's more a statement on state of the art conditioning than anything else.

I had a friend use this on his lawn mower. It appeared to do some stuff (easier pulls and whatnot - this was years ago). The most he could have benefited from it was maybe a couple of $$ in annual fuel expense if it did anything in that regard.

This is why you don't see all the claims removed from FTC actions against these companies. The FTC has no mandate of "value" in their actions, merely that the product does as claimed. If I can charge $100 for $3 in utility ..then we're good to go
21.gif

Why not save your self some work and just burn the amount of money you spend on the zmax?...a nice little fire, maybe to start your barbeque. It will do an equally good job of protecting your engine at the same cost and save you a trip to the store.

I never bought a Tornado because I understand induction systems better than oil additives. I spent 15 years at Holley carb. Seems like I should have spent a few at an oil company.

I buy online where it's cheaper. I've bought many of their products and have had success with them. I would imagine there is other places to get cans of automotive items for around the garage but I'm not aware of them. That's why I'm posting and asking questions.

You're just at the front end of the realization curve, kaboom10. We've just been there and done that earlier.
LOL.gif

I've bought Duralube and Prolong. Never thought twice about it. Money wasn't an issue and what else would I have done with it anyway, bought a pizza?
grin2.gif

Now the Prolong I didn't buy for any other reason than curiosity. I never used it in an engine ..just played with the stuff with oils and a drill press. I'd say that added to a cutting oil, it would double the amount of time until it smoked up. I don't know if it would have also doubled your time drilling too
21.gif

Have you run the Amsoil with out the zMax? I would feel correct in saying Amsoil doesn't need snake oil added to it.

Somewhere down the line I used Amsoil without additives. I wish I had found this site when I did and took a UOA for a baseline. Don't worry, I'll stop putting snake oil in starting the next oil change which will be shortly because of winter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back