Do Goodyear Integrity tires lack integrity?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The wife's 08 Corolla came with Goodyear Integrity tires on it. We have 7800 miles on the vehicle at this point and was alarmed to read what people think about these tires from a snow/rain perspective.

The wife just got a job where she must drive 18 miles each way on a pretty desolate two lane highway up here in N. Wisconsin. I am worried about her driving in the winter to work as it is, then I hear these tires are basically deathtraps.

Anyone have any further info on these tires? Anyone have anything good to say about their winter time performance? Reading the name of this tire in every other thread on the "Worst Tire You Ever Owned" topic isn't giving me the warm and fuzzies.

Thanks guys!

They were the stock tire on my '06 Ford Freestar work van. I hated them. They had zero traction when pulling out on wet roads. I literally had to allow extra distance with oncoming traffic because I never knew how bad they would spin (that's scary if you've ever experienced the lack of power of a 3.9L Freestar.) Hydroplaning was also quite bad as well as general cornering.
It was their snow performance that made me convince the boss that I needed to get rid of them, though. Every time we would get a dusting to a couple of inches of snow, I couldn't get out of my driveway. More than a few inches wasn't as bad.

I replaced them at around 20K miles with at least 1/2 tread life on them and the tire tech couldn't believe someone was throwing out "good" tires. I went with the Michelin Hydroedges and I couldn't be happier. Handling might be a little off with the Michelins but the snow and rain performance is much better.

Thanks for the replies all. I am seriously considering just keeping these for summer tires and go with either the Hydroedges or the Triple Treads. My wife is worth having something decent the large snow storms we get here.

just checked tire rack and both michlen and goodyear triple tred have a 9.2 rating for wet traction .. for deep snow michlen is 6.8 and the goodyear is 7.9 .. looking at the michlen it looks to ba a copy of the goodyear triple tred, always check tire rack website when looking at tires, they test and rate them ..

yeah go for four dedicated snows... even the store brand... lots of threads on the subject.

Originally Posted By: Liquid_Turbo
They're [censored]. Esp in snow. End of story.

It doesn't get any more to the point then that!

If she's doing that kind of driving, I'd just bite the bullet and purchase an extra set of wheels and get some quality snow tires on there. Safety first. That will be a lot easier than dealing with your wife in the hospital with a wrecked car potentially.

Last edited:
I was thinking of just going that route. I will start pricing four steel wheels and after some more research offline, the GY Triple Treads are looking more and more tempting. Tirerack has some great ratings pages. Have you guys used their recommended installer feature after buying the tires? Just wondering how smooth of a deal that is.

Thanks for the help guys.

In 2003 we bought two new Corollas and both had the Integrity tires. It took only ONE rainy day.....that was it. They came off both cars and were only three months old at the time. Toyota should be ashamed for putting these deathtrap tires on a car for the extra 1/2 mpg they (may) offer. Get rid of them and feel better about your wife driving that stretch of road.

Craaper - I'm checking out winter tire and wheel packages for an 08 Corolla and no one lists steel wheels. After having aftermarket alloy wheels that wouldn't balance and hubcentrically mount, I wouldn't screw around with that. Best bet is to somehow find factory wheels, but after looking online, they are majorly expensive. You can however, get some older factory wheels from earlier model years that would fit. What tire size does your wife's Corolla have?

Perhaps your best bet is to go with Triple Treads. Only problem with them is deep snow traction will still not be as good as a snow tire.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
Craaper - I'm checking out winter tire and wheel packages for an 08 Corolla and no one lists steel wheels. After having aftermarket alloy wheels that wouldn't balance and hubcentrically mount, I wouldn't screw around with that. Best bet is to somehow find factory wheels, but after looking online, they are majorly expensive. You can however, get some older factory wheels from earlier model years that would fit. What tire size does your wife's Corolla have?

Perhaps your best bet is to go with Triple Treads. Only problem with them is deep snow traction will still not be as good as a snow tire.

The tire size on this Corolla is 185/65/15. Yeah, I noticed that the deep snow traction is not rated that high with the TT or HydroEdges.

I noticed the Bridgestone Blizzak REVO 1's on there and some of the owner's reviews were stellar, and they are not that expensive.

Finding some older rims from a Corolla shouldn't be too hard of an ordeal except around here this is not foreign car country. Nearly 100% Ford and GM here. Might have to look on Craig's list in a larger area like Minnepolis.

Last edited:
Keep an eye out on the Sales and rebates section. Last year Discount tire direct ran $100 off if you bought four wheels or four tires, plus free shipping. I got 4 steelies for my buick for just over $100 and they were shipped to my door for free. Some winter tire package deals are bound to pop up soon.

Originally Posted By: lobo11
Keep an eye out on the Sales and rebates section. Last year Discount tire direct ran $100 off if you bought four wheels or four tires, plus free shipping. I got 4 steelies for my buick for just over $100 and they were shipped to my door for free. Some winter tire package deals are bound to pop up soon.

I'll keep an eye out for those kinds of specials. Luckily, I have a couple of months before it hits to give me to time to really look around and get a good deal.
11.gif

Originally Posted By: Saturn_Fan
Have you guys used their recommended installer feature after buying the tires? Just wondering how smooth of a deal that is.

Make sure to call the installers first. I found that Tire Rack's installer lists for my area were not very accurate or up to date. Several said they would not honor the price on TR's site and one even claimed to have never had any contact with TR whatsoever. I did contact TR about this but they didn't seem to care a whole lot and the lists never changed. In contrast to that, I ended up using a tire shop on TR's list that I had never dealt with and I was quite happy with their service.

I guess it depends on type of vehicle they are on...they seem good on my Dodge Caravan but I know a friend with them and he says the stink...so...who knows try tirerack.com for review.

The wife's 08 Corolla came with Goodyear Integrity tires on it. We have 7800 miles on the vehicle at this point

Keep in mind that the Integrity was "redesigned" at some point. So the new tire may not be as horrible as the earlier versions. See more current/later reviews to get a better idea.

Since its a pretty new set why not give them a try in snow this season. The deeper tread should help a little bit initially. If it works it might buy you a year before you *have* to replace them. Because they really start loosing it all after about half life.

Originally Posted By: youdontwannaknow
The wife's 08 Corolla came with Goodyear Integrity tires on it. We have 7800 miles on the vehicle at this point

Keep in mind that the Integrity was "redesigned" at some point. So the new tire may not be as horrible as the earlier versions. See more current/later reviews to get a better idea.

Since its a pretty new set why not give them a try in snow this season. The deeper tread should help a little bit initially. If it works it might buy you a year before you *have* to replace them. Because they really start loosing it all after about half life.

Hmm, I wasn't aware of a revision to the Integrity line, but I will now check this out. I would love to have these perform, even for one winter, and put off the 500-700 dollar expenditure until next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back