Best underbody spray to prevent rust?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kestas,

I'm looking for a product to spray on the underbody components where rust has already started, in some cases already flaking. It seems like an oily product like the TC-11 recently discussed here would penetrate well and exclude oxygen to slow down the rust.

Any product that doesn't penetrate 100% or leaves open avenues for salt and ,moisture, and oxygen to get in simply won't work. Any coating that encapsulates the rust and then allows stuff to get in could make things worse.

I also am thinking about rust converters. There seems to be two general types: phosphoric acid (Ospho, the watery ones) and tannic acid (the latex, thick,milky ones..Extend).

Does your Texaco product work on established rust? Is it similar to Fluid Film, another lanolin based product?

Thanks.....and why is this in the grease forum?

Lanolin - wool grease, same thing. So I suspect Fluid Film and Texaco are the same thing.

Texaco seems to work on existing rust. The compound is designed to be cut with mineral spirits and sprayed onto the surface where the carrier solvent dries off. It seeps into the nooks and crannies, including rust.

It would help the treatment to remove some of the flaky rust before spraying.

Originally Posted by Kestas
Does anybody have long-term experience with Amsoil HD protector?

I cant talk multiple years, but it does stay where it was sprayed, is mildly waxy and re-workable, anbd doesnt pick up grit. Ive sprayed it on multiple surfaces including under the vehicle, and it stays put for well over a year...

http://www.krown.com/

Quote:
Krown is the highest performing petroleum based rust preventative on the market today. A non evaporating liquid product with lubricant properties, Krown spreads along metal and painted surfaces, displaces moisture, creeps into crevices, and lays down a thin, self-repairing rust inhibiting coating. The rust inhibiting performance of Krown is the best of any like-product. The lubricity of Krown is known to provide additional service life to moving parts normally inaccessible to routine maintenance, such as cables, doors locks, and window roll-up mechanisms. Krown has consistently outperformed competitive products in laboratory tests.

OK, Krown looks like interesting stuff. But its only available in Canada.

What if you have a car that is known to be rust prone and and to protect it in NJ???

Is there a Krown equivalent in the states?

Thanks

Caterpillar rust preventitive oil sold in one gallon containers available at any Caterpillar dealer. Part # 1U8801. It srays on like a liquid dries to a thick impermiable waxy film. I spray it on with a NAPA one quart sprayer. I have used this for years, it is the most economical and I drive through the salty slush every winter and never wash underneath during winter. None of my cars have ever had underbody rust even the rust prone cars I have owned. It works into the cracks and crevices without clogging drain holes and requires a hot alkali solution to remove. The NAPA sprayer part number is BK 7705011. A 1 foot wand for this sprayer part number BK 7705016 helps get in to the hard to reach places. My current vehicle is a 1997 F150 with zero rust.

Up here in Canada Krown seems to rule the roost, it is the only rust proofing spray that is recognized by the APA (auto protection agency) Krown was originally formed after a falling out with Rust Check, who for years were the only legitmate company offering undercoating for Canadians. A couple of the original chemists/owners went out on their own after Rust Check began watering down their product and they did not agree with what they were doing.
Rust Check is still in business but I believe they had some legal issues regarding their product? The only problem is the majority of Canadians know nothing about what Rust Check did and they continue to use Rust Check based on the name they made for themselves even though Krown is much better!
I have used Krown for a few years now and in my opinion it does last longer than Rust Check. My 97 GMC Sierra gets compliments all the time on how good it still looks.........Irv

Except I am not sure how to purchase smaller quantities, like few liters of Krown????? I can buy a single liter cans of Rust Check in CT. I think one can purchase entire pales from a Krown distributor (not sure who/where) but that is too much for me.

Anyway Krown seems to prefer doing the job themselves and doesn't make it easy to purchase their oil.

I went to Krown few years back, about $100 per car. They suggest doing it every year so it adds up. Then I realized I can get a spray gun for my air compressor and simply buy oil to spray myself. I use less than 2 liters per car, so much less $$$$ when doing it myself.

Krown did a great job - too good actually! Some of the oil ended up on top end of the engine and I still haven't cleaned it up properly to this day. Hard to reach places are a pain to clean.

Nothing against Krown. Like you said they are probably the best. Just I would like a cheaper alternative to buy some oil (less than pales) and spray myself as needed.

Last edited:
Check out stores that sell boating supplies. Bass Pro Shops here has a number of rust preventatives. When I had my Explorer I bought some stuff there in a spray can. I think CRC made it. I used it on the rotted out rockers just to keep them from getting worse. It seemed to stick pretty well. Water would bead up on it and roll right off.

eastwood has rust preventing in spray cans . also summit racing sells a product bullet that is similar to por15 that can be brushed on or sprayed and dries rock hard and goes on over rust. i have used the bullet on all cars i have restored on the underside, it comes in black and is about 38 bucks for a quart from summit racing..

I've used an entire 5-gal bucket of Texaco rustproof to do my car, so I don't think a pail is too much. Besides the underside of the car, I also spray the door cavities (very important), hood lid, trunk lid, and whatever I can reach from inside the trunk (also important).

Kestas,
For a 1st time application I suppose you could use a lot, although 5 gallons for a single car .... must be a big car.
My biggest vehicle is a Honda CRV.
For routine spraying I am only doing high risk areas like wheel wells. Also I don't have much oil dripping off the surfaces and spray only a light coating. So I end up using much less.

Sure cavities are important, except I don't want my car to outlive me. At some point I want to change it. Otherwise if it is in a perfect condition for 50 years ... ouch. So I generally don't have the time to chase every cavity and crevice. In that case I would just go to Krown and let them do it in half an hour.

So for routine maintenance type spraying where I am not trying to put a complete comprehensive coating but only fortify the high risk areas I need 1-2L per car only.

Single gallon type packaging would be fine. 5 gallons for me is too much.

Originally Posted By: irv
Up here in Canada Krown seems to rule the roost, it is the only rust proofing spray that is recognized by the APA (auto protection agency) Krown was originally formed after a falling out with Rust Check, who for years were the only legitmate company offering undercoating for Canadians. A couple of the original chemists/owners went out on their own after Rust Check began watering down their product and they did not agree with what they were doing.
Rust Check is still in business but I believe they had some legal issues regarding their product? The only problem is the majority of Canadians know nothing about what Rust Check did and they continue to use Rust Check based on the name they made for themselves even though Krown is much better!
I have used Krown for a few years now and in my opinion it does last longer than Rust Check. My 97 GMC Sierra gets compliments all the time on how good it still looks.........Irv

Just read the can of Rust Check today, and they claim over six million applications without a single warranty claim.

I know this post is old, but I've used KROWN on all my cars. It is THE only name in rustproofing I'll ever use. I have spray cans of their product too. It's one of my favorite products ever.

Originally Posted By: bob_ninja
Kestas, For a 1st time application I suppose you could use a lot, although 5 gallons for a single car .... must be a big car...

The 5 gallons was for a reapplication. Yes, I sprayed it as thick as I possibly can on my Mercury Marquis. This was three years ago. Last month I planned on respraying, or at least a touchup. The underside was still intact with no thin spots or sloughing off of the layer.

So go ahead and buy the 5-gal pail, and lay it on thick. This way you won't have to revisit it for a while.

Duplicolor PROFESSIONAL series rubberized undercoating in the can. 6.99 a can at O'Reilly usually; I put 2 coats on my Jeep and I am very happy with it. Be sure to wear a mask or do it outside cause the fumes are very bad for you.

I miss the days of RustyJones, AutoArmor, and Ziebart. There were plenty of shops in the Northeast. Just about every new car in the 80's to early 90's that everyone bought received one of these. It was the only was to keep the winter road salt from eating the vehicle. Now, we just purchase disposable vehicles.

Looks like I'm going to have to call some of the shops in Canada and see if I can make a weekend appointment. Have some friends that are interested too. Could be a fun trip, and get the vehicles "Crown'd" while we're up there.

With the 'raw linseed' oil, do you spray it straight from the can or dilute it with something, at at what ratio? Sounds like an economical method for an older car.

I do make an effort to use a car wash regularly. And, the undercarriage wash includes a "Simoniz" rust inhibitor, which according to the faq sheet is good for 2 months. So, my weekly car wash should keep me somewhat protected for now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back