Genuine NISSAN Ester Engine Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, it's not that often that we see an entirely new product hit the the market, but it appears that's happened, ironically at Nissan/Infiniti. I say "ironically" because they had been recommending non-synthetic oils for their cars for a long time, and the new product is "Genuine Nissan Ester Engine Oil". Anyone have some info about this stuff? Grades available, prices, applications (other than the new Maxima), and so forth.

"Ester based" usually means
I'm curious to hear more about it. I'll have to dig around a little.

IMO Nissan should fix their engine problems (head gasket and intake butterfly screw) rather than marketing engine oil. They don't have the creditability for that.

It's like Daewoo has a "genuine Daewoo" formula for your $8000 car that has no warranty after Daewoo was sold to GM.

Originally Posted By: PandaBear
IMO Nissan should fix their engine problems (head gasket and intake butterfly screw) rather than marketing engine oil. They don't have the creditability for that.

It's like Daewoo has a "genuine Daewoo" formula for your $8000 car that has no warranty after Daewoo was sold to GM.

Absolutely.

http://www.myg37.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2418896

Quote:
The Nissan Ester oil is NOT ester based synthetic, but is 5W-30 conventional with an ester additive

Quote:
We found out it is a 5W-30 conventional oil with an ester additive. The ester additive is not available separately, as, most likely, Nissan buys the private label oil with the ester already added to the oil. The ester additive is supposed to help quiet engine ticking or VVEL knocking. The one person reporting who tried it said it worked at first. Then, after six days his ticking returned. The retail price is $12/quart.

So, whether the ester additive does anything beneficial, we do not know. Like you, I have no ticking or knocking (the TSB has cured my knock for about two months now). If everything is fine without the Nissan Ester oil, then it makes sense to keep using what I have been using. Unless, of course, we learn later on that this Nissan Ester oil works like magic in our cars.

LOL. $12qt, what a scam!

Castrol start-up/magnatec anyone ?

A guy at work had a slappy V-6 that was quietened some with 5W-40 magnatec.

I'm gonna guess and say Eneos, who is now selling their oils here in the U.S. Another very overpriced oil.

"Ester" plays into a whole universe of oil mythology involving "cling", re: startup noise and valve tick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back