2009 Camry 2.4L -- Belt or Chain driven?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hopefully some of the Toyota guys out there can answer my question - on the 2.4L 4-cylinder used in the 2009 Camry (possibly other years, not sure) Do these engines use timing belts or timing chains? If a belt, does anyone know the recommended change interval?

Also, any comments on that particular engine in general from current owners would be appreciated, too. Any known issues with the 2009 Camry's?

Thanks,
Steve

Chain.

No issues with those engines. The 2009 models already have the latest software update (3rd revision, IIRC) so there will not be any hesitation problems.

The 2AZ-FE engine in your car has chain driven camshafts. The newer models have the dual vvt-i system for both the intake and exhaust camshafts.

The engine is very smooth and economical.

Originally Posted By: Jaykim81
The 2AZ-FE engine in your car has chain driven camshafts. The newer models have the dual vvt-i system for both the intake and exhaust camshafts.

The engine is very smooth and economical.

chain for my '05.
I have had hesitation once - idling after a long highway trip, it stumbled a bit, but I think I may have gotten a bad batch of fuel. Was no trouble codes when the dealer checked it.

The only real issue is the VVT-i mechanism---- since it is hydraulic using engine oil--- keeping the oil strainer on the VVT-i assembly free of oil [censored] is key to VVT-i function & reliability.

Thanks guys. A buddy of mine is trying to decide between the 09 Accord 2.4L and the 2.4L 2009 Camry. Not being very familiar with the Camry engine, I just wanted to see what others were experiencing. I am biased toward the Honda, but am trying to listen with an open mind!

UG Passat - you mentioned the VVT-i & oil cleanliness being an issue - same situation with Honda's VTEC. People that tend to neglect cars with few oil changes tend to develop VTEC issues later in the car's life, from what I've seen.

Originally Posted By: Market525
Thanks guys. A buddy of mine is trying to decide between the 09 Accord 2.4L and the 2.4L 2009 Camry. Not being very familiar with the Camry engine, I just wanted to see what others were experiencing. I am biased toward the Honda, but am trying to listen with an open mind!

UG Passat - you mentioned the VVT-i & oil cleanliness being an issue - same situation with Honda's VTEC. People that tend to neglect cars with few oil changes tend to develop VTEC issues later in the car's life, from what I've seen.

Judging from the Accord and Edmunds forums, the Toyota 2.4 is going to return much better fuel economy. However a new 2.5L ? engine is set to launch for the 2010 model year, so if he can wait that one might be worth checking out.

Also, I just test drove a '09 Malibu 2LT yesterday with the 2.4L Ecotec and the six-speed auto. Having driven the Accord 4-cyl, I'd say this combination in the Malibu is just as good as the Accord, and delivers fuel economy that beats the Camry or the Accord. Definitely worth a look.

I'd say for the current gen Camry and Accord, the Accord is nicer but not as good looking. Both has reliable 4 banger and tranny (V6 is another story). Buy whichever one he likes best.

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
I wouldn't let a chain or timing belt be the deciding factor.
That should be very low on the list.
The timing belt change adds XXX$$$ at every recommended belt change interval to the price of owning the car.

I've known people to not buy cars because of that reason alone. In fact, years ago my father was buying a new car, and wanted to go for the more powerful V6. When he found out it had a timing belt that required periodic service, he decided against it. I would have done the same thing. IMO a design that uses a belt is ALWAYS inferior to a design that uses a chain.

For reference b/c I dont think it's been said yet, the Accord I4 also has a chain. The J V6 is Honda's only current engine that has a timing belt, IIRC.

EDIT: Doh! I just noticed that tdpark actually said this earlier. That's what I get for not paying attention!

Last edited:

well, yeah, since it takes money out of your pocket, mechtech2
wink.gif

FWIW, sounds like you got your question answered, but the 2AZ-FE, and 2AZ-FXE (hybrid version) do indeed have chain-driven cams. The AZ series of engines is relatively new, having made it's US debut with the previous generation of Camry (2002-2006 MYs). It has been revised since, including an improved chain tensioning system, and with the current Gen-6 Camry that now calls for 0w-20 or 5w-20 oil (the Gen-5 Camrys called for 5w-30) the engine now has oil nozzles that hose the pistons down with fresh oil. It's a good engine, that treated remotely well, should last darned near forever. OTOH, without doubt, the competing Honda engines are every bit as good. This is NOT, I repeat NOT a basis for deciding whether to buy a Honda or a Toyota. Nope, your friend is going to have to dig deeper.

But back on point, I have a TIS (Toyota Technical Info Service, basically, all service pubs, on line), and I've reviewed the latest on the 2AZ engine. It is 110%, without doubt, a chain-driven cam engine.
cheers3.gif

Originally Posted By: Eddie
Your owners manual should be your first read. So much information, one normally needs to read it twice.

No, no, no!!! You need to keep reading it over and over!!!!! My wife thinks I'm some form of psychologically deformed nerd because I keep bringing the manual in from the garage and reading it instead of just sitting back and watching TV in the evenings. Now, it is a pretty sad comment about the state of TV when your owner's manual is more exciting than the latest offerings, but hey, I need to read it anyway! So do the rest of you!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back