2009 Maxima recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.
From the 09 owner's manual:

"3: NISSAN recommends Genuine NISSAN Ester Engine Oil available at your NISSAN dealer."

What do you guys make of this - other than they want you to buy oil from them?

Nissan Maxima 3.5 will accept any good quality engine oil with the rating of 5W-30 and API of "SM".
However, their automatic transmission or shall I say the CVT does require Nissan specific fluid.

Interesting because didn't Nissan used to say not to use synthetic motor oil?

Originally Posted By: mcrn

Because "Genuine NISSAN Ester Engine Oil" is only available at your NISSAN dealer!
01.gif

Syn oil is available at Wal-Mart. (they don't sell cars... Yet
grin2.gif
)

Bill

Originally Posted By: gizzsdad
From the 09 owner's manual:

"3: NISSAN recommends Genuine NISSAN Ester Engine Oil available at your NISSAN dealer."

crackmeup2.gif

Q.

They actually said that they recommend dino oil, which many people interpreted as recommending 'against' synthetic.

Many here, including myself, believe the EPA requires them to 'recommend' whatever oil is used to certify the engine w/EPA.

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah

Because "Genuine NISSAN Ester Engine Oil" is only available at your NISSAN dealer!
01.gif

grin2.gif
)

Bill

Well they do, but only two year olds fit in them.
grin2.gif
grin2.gif
grin2.gif

Put dealer's oil next oil change. Use it for regular amount of time. Then switch to Mobil1 HM 10w30 or any Xw40 syn staff: VQ3x hates thing oil. German Castrol is OK too.

About transmission: was not impressed by Castrol Import MV, put Amsoil ATF and it feels much better.

Maxima 2005 SE
Maxima 2000 GXE

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah

01.gif

grin2.gif
)

Bill

Thats right Bill! I wonder if I should buy genuine Chevy oil for my Chevy?

The VQ engines tend to sludge up if the oil changes are neglected? Obvious answer is to not neglect the oil, but considering the engines tendency in this area, what oil would be best to use?

Originally Posted By: AFmedic
The 3.5 is the same 3.5 eith no big changes correct?

Yep.
As far as I know they slightly change exhaust system.

Originally Posted By: Nessism
The VQ engines tend to sludge up if the oil changes are neglected?

I think that's correct for any engine. But VQ-series is not too capricious.

Originally Posted By: Nessism
Obvious answer is to not neglect the oil, but considering the engines tendency in this area, what oil would be best to use?

I use heavy 30-weight or Xx40. Take any mineral or syn, your choice, but do not go too thin. And I still resist using syn oils in new engines, I would let them go for at least 5k miles.

Originally Posted By: ITB08-039 for 08-09 G37 and FX50
INFINITI recommends Genuine NISSAN Ester Engine Oil available at your INIFINITI dealer. The part number is 999MP-5W30EP.

Hmmm....they're pushing this new "Nissan Ester Engine Oil" with a general TSB (ITB08-039). It's also REQUIRED to fufill a VVEL tapping issue TSB (ITB08-029a) for my VQ engine too. Weird. Does anyone have any idea why this would be the case?

http://x.infinitihelp.com/forum/local_links.php?catid=86

Originally Posted By: gizzsdad

"Genuine NISSAN Ester Engine Oil" "Synthetic" is not in the name. This oil could be conventional like Connoco or Mobil that's formulated with borate esters, an additive.

If its an ester based oil there is no reason to also call it synthetic- this would simply be redundant. If this oil is less than $10.00/qt there's probably very little ester in it, given the current cost of basestock.

Any shear stable, PAO/Ester based synthetic (Mobil1, Amsoil, Redline, etc), will be fine for this application. All things being equal the 10w-30 grades will tend to be more shear stable than their 5w-30.

Didnt we hear that Nissan dealers, "usually" stocked Valvoline, or are we talking about genuine Nissan oil?

GREAT looking car by the way!!! the new maximas are the best yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back