"$4 to nearly $5 a gallon at the U.S. Gulf Coast"

Status
Not open for further replies.
article

Wow. Crude is down a lot and my gas station still has lower prices, but ....

Gustav has caused some damage to refineries already. So if Ike now does yet more damage we could actually end up with a dropping crude prices while gasoline jumps to new records. Strange ....

I suppose gasoline imports will replace some of the missing capacity but will it be enough?

BTW, for detailed coverage The Oil Drum

We haven't built a refinery in over 30 years and already much of our fuel comes into port as a refined product.

After the 1973 - 1974 oil embargo by what became OPEC several countries banded together with fuel reserves for situations like this.

Prices will be impacted by panic buying more than an actual shortage of product.

It's nearly $4 a gallon right now south of Chicago. Just went from $3.62 (yesterday) to $3.90 (today).

SrDriver,
Which countries? US has a strategic reserve which contains crude oil. I am not aware of any gasoline reserves. I thought you cannot store gasoline for a long time, so it is not possible to build a large reserve. More info please ....

mrsilv04,
Interesting. I wonder how far/fast this jump will spread. Also I wonder about the staying power of elevated prices. I guess it all depends on Ike.

Interesting note that oil markets dismissed Gustav quickly even though a lot of rigs and refinaries are still offline. It is like we went to the other extreme, short selling oil too much.

Just imagine fuel prices if Ike happened in early July instead of now. Makes me a little sick to even consider it.

For some reason, I've got a feeling Ike is not going to pack the punch that the storm-fear-mongers are warning us of. I could be very wrong, though; I usually am.

Gas is still about $3.60 or so here, at least in some parts of town. When I filled up today at Petro Express (Texaco), I was only allowed to get 10 gallons. I don't know if it was just at the station I went to (the cheapest around), or if that is going on all across town.

Originally Posted By: wavinwayne
For some reason, I've got a feeling Ike is not going to pack the punch that the storm-fear-mongers are warning us of. I could be very wrong, though; I usually am.

Gustav weakened to a cat 2 by the time it reached land. Still it had enough wind and rain to cause flooding and some damage. So ...

Not sure if it has to be a Cat4/5 to cause havoc.

There was an idiotic chain email running around earlier today suggesting that gas was going to jump almost a dollar a gallon today. My assistant got it, and came running in asking me in a panic. I told her to chill and not worry. Gas all along the upper half of FL was still at stabilized $3.70-ish prices, as it has been for the last couple weeks.

I'm guessing some greedy gas retailer started a chain email to drum up more business... Stealth-gouging, if you will.

The price in Toronto went from 123.7 cents per liter to 136.6 cents overnight! That's a jump from $4.68 per gallon to $5.17 per gallon! It's nothing but greed at this point, pure greed!
mad.gif

People were freaking out last night. My friend and I stopped by a gas station just to go to the store, and people were lined up at the pumps. This was at 11:30 PM. They had to shut the pumps off because they ran out.

BTW, as an example of a somewhat similar case check the strike at the major UK refinery last year. They too had lineups and dry pumps because of panic buying.

Not sure what to expect here. For now seems most pumps don't want to loose a bunch of money and are anticipating higher wholesale prices.

Latest from TheOilDrum:

Hurricane Ike's current track currently is headed directly for Houston/Galveston and is expected by the National Hurricane Center to be Category 3 at Saturday landfall, in striking distance of 5-6 million bpd of US petroleum refining capacity. (Perspective: 5 MMBBL is about 30% of US capacity (about 15 MMBBL), and a bit less than 6% of global capacity (~85 MMBBL). Also, the MMS reported Wednesday that staff has been evacuated from 452 production platforms (63.0%) and 81 rigs (66.9%) – (95.9% of the oil production and 73.1% of the natural gas production has been shut-in as a precautionary measure for Hurricane Ike.) Updated 9/12 09:30 EDT

Current Situation: At 8am ET we are seeing 110 knot winds at the Shell
Garden Banks platform - however, that is at 122m above the surface.
Observations are normally standardized to 10m, so 95 knot surface winds
are reasonable. Peak wave heights are in the 30-40 ft range across the
entire GoM lease areas. These are within the range modern equipment can
handle, however, as with Gustav, some of the older platforms with 35ft
air gaps may have damage, but the newer deep water stuff should be OK.
We will probably permanently loose 2-3% production as these older
platforms will not be replaced. Overall, despite losing most of
September production, by the end of October we should be back to 75%+
and offshore production should recover to 90-95% by the end of the year.

The key question is refinery damage. Storm surge flooding is definitely
the big risk. If the storm center makes landfall on or north of
Galveston, the peak surges will be north of the main refineries. In
fact the latest WRF run puts the peaks over Port Arthur (attached).
There is a lot of infrastructure out there. Current models are showing
that there will be at least 1 MMBBL offline for 30 days, with the
potential for 5 MMBBL offline at 30 days and 4 MMBBL at 60 days, 1 to 2
MMBBL out through the end of the year. That would certainly cause
significant shortages of refined products (eg gasoline).

How likely are the really bad scenarios? I can't emphasize enough that
in these discussions, I am focused on the damage a storm is likely to do
to key infrastructure. That is a *very* different perspective from the
Hurricane Center or emergency managers. Their job is to keep people
from harm. My job is to accurately forecast the impact of the storm on
critical infrastructure. These are very different perspectives, and Ike
illustrates our dilemmas almost perfectly. NHC and the emergency
managers have to play up the risks or people will not evacuate. They
never want to be wrong on the low side, so if there is any potential for
intensification, they will plug that in to the forecast. Unfortunately,
that plays on the fears in the oil/gas markets, and drives up prices
unrealistically, so I spend a lot of time downplaying the NHC forecasts
as they tend to my "hot" from a damage perspective. The risk is that
someone will read my infrastructure forecasts and decide not to
evacuate. That's stupid; rigs and refineries can be replaced, lives cant.

That said, my thinking is the storm will not be over 100 knots surface
winds at landfall, and flooding will largely be confined to the coast,
and inland wind damage to the refineries will not cause long term
outages. That's not great, but as noted yesterday 100 knots is when
things start to get out of hand, and I think we will be below that
threshold. To sum up, I think it's a 1 in 5 at this point for the bad,
long term refinery damage scenarios. It all depends on exactly where
the intense winds end up, and we won't know that until the storm is 6-12
hours out

Originally Posted By: bob_ninja
Latest from TheOilDrum:
(snip)
The key question is refinery damage. Storm surge flooding is definitely
the big risk. If the storm center makes landfall on or north of
Galveston, the peak surges will be north of the main refineries. In
fact the latest WRF run puts the peaks over Port Arthur (attached).
There is a lot of infrastructure out there. Current models are showing
that there will be at least 1 MMBBL offline for 30 days, with the
potential for 5 MMBBL offline at 30 days and 4 MMBBL at 60 days, 1 to 2
MMBBL out through the end of the year. That would certainly cause
significant shortages of refined products (eg gasoline).

We will start to get some idea of the refinery situation this weekend, and it should be fairly clear by Monday whether all or most of the refineries will restart quickly or if it could be months.

It's a little weird for those of us who don't have access to spot fuel prices... we look at the futures markets for an indication of what's happening, but the October '08 gasoline and heating oil contracts are a poor indicator of spot gasoline and spot diesel prices.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back