PCV valve replacement - camry

Status
Not open for further replies.
My maintenance shedule does not note that the PCV valve needs to be replaced. What is a suitable interval? I have 60,ooo km (37,000 miles) on the clock

I take it on the 2AZ-FE the PCV valve is on the passenger side coming into the valve cover at the back of the cover? (not sure). anyone with photos?

If you've performed oil changes on the factory schedule its fine for qiute longer than 3 years. It sounds like you've found it so go ahead and remove it,see if it rattles as it should, hit it with a little brake cleaner and put it back in.

Just IMHO, for the $1~2 that a new valve costs, you might as well just replace it after you've gone through the trouble of removing it on the 2AZ-FE. You'll need a 22mm deep-socket wrench and some Three Bond 1324/Loctite 542 for the threads.

If it were as easy as popping it in and out of the valve cover like my 1MZ-FE, I'd say inspect/clean is a worthwhile endeavor. But then again I've got other issues with this engine.
frown.gif

They are closer to $8-10 and I changed mine on the Toyota around 60k.

It is listed on the 75k schedule if I remember correctly.

Bill

crinkles - Bill's right on the cost here in the US, dunno in Australia, but the location is as you said. Pull the engine cover, disconnect the hose, and the PCV unscrews from the engine. Box end wrench, easy job. When you buy the new one from the dealer, it will be obvious. Ours have some kind of green sealer on the threads.

good, thanks for the replies! I might have a go at 100,000km / 62,000 miles... couple of years off yet!

What's the loctite for?

I finally got around to changing this valve today, almost 5 years after I initially asked. There is a bit of gunk on the manifold side. I would say it's getting a bit sticky.

Car now has 80,300 miles and this is the first valve change.

Used OEM parts. Cost for hose, 2x clips and valve was $28. Shipping $22. Took all of 10 minutes.

The hose on the manifold side was developing three cracks along the pipe, but past the clamp and barb side, so not affecting operation. Glad I got the new hose though.

Last edited:
I did mine on my 07 Scion tC with the same engine at around 100k and just replaced the valve. The hose and everything else looked fine. I also used the OEM Toyota PCV valve as the else cheapo aftermarket replacement felt way too cheap in comparison.

replace them both.

My wifey's PCV valve has been on tightly scheduled maintenance regimen since we bought it @ 58k (now car has >158k on the odo)...every year or so, I would pull off that PCV valve and spray clean it with carb cleaner, then shake it dry and re-install.

I'm gonna replace it with a fresh new on when the car hits 180k...then we'll take it from there..

Q. (ours is a 04 2AZ-FE in case you wonder)

Cleaning/shaking the PCV valve to listen for the "rattle" is no guarantee that the valve is working properly...

I did that and 3k miles later an inspection (done at an OC when I intended to replace it anyway) showed oil build-up at the entry hole of the valve...

...it's a $5 replacement (the hose, another $12)...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back