Got a crazy question.

Status
Not open for further replies.
When sampling for a VOA should you first shake up the bottle from which you are going to draw the sample from? I've heard of additive fall-out to the bottom of the bottle sometimes. Any thoughts on the subject?

LOL.gif

I think many of us BITOGers have had oil separate when it remained on a shelve for a long time. In fact it had become a problem with low volume dealers who handle bulk oil. GM recognised this as a problem and told low volume dealers to use smaller bulk oil containers.

Originally Posted By: salesrep
If the additives fall out, you've got a problem with the blender.

i know moly is typically a difficult add to keep in suspension....i always shake my bottles.

One way to get an additive concentrate is buy a huge load of clearance oil, let it sit on the shelf until the adds fall out, pour off the base and then collect the concentrated additives for later use in doping your oil.

This is similar to freezing beer, collecting the still liquid alcohol, and tossing the ice, then re-introducing alcohol part to another beer for an extra kick.

Quote:
When sampling for a VOA should you first shake up the bottle

I do.

I shake the heck out of the container before I dump it in the engine, too. One day my brother and I were doing an OC and he asked why I was doing it - I said "to make sure all the additives are evenly distributed, duhhh..". He said "ummm, don't you think it will get mixed up when it gets pumped around the engine?". D'oh!! But I still do it....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back