Arctic Cat 500 starting problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
My father has a '98 Arctic Cat 500 (Suzuki motor) that was recently rebuilt. Ran fine for several months. Now when he tries to crank it, the motor will turn one time and then kicks back, one turn then kicks back. We trying to figure out if the starter clutch is binding and won't let it turn but once, or if there is a valve/compression issue. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Rainman

I don't know about the engine you have, but it sounds like you may have sheared the key on the flywheel. Most atv engines use a woodruff key on the crankshaft to align the flywheel, if the key shears off it can do what you describe. Remove stator cover, pull flywheel, replace key, reassemble. Not a terribly difficult job, probably hardest to remove plastic enough to get to the engine covers. Good luck, Chris

My apologies, Chris. I didn't provide enough information. The ATV runs well if we pull it off with another vehicle. My father (76 years old) said he can't pull the cranking rope because of the compression. I haven't been able to get up there to try it myself. Although the starter has been checked out at the shop, I'm leaning toward a weak starter or something in the starter clutch assembly, which is a feature I'm not familiar with.

You may to just want to check the battery. I have a Polaris and it does that when the battery gets low. It sounds like the engine is jumping. Hook some jumpers up to it and try it, its the same 12 volt system as on your car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back