Bike rec.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, I'm going to ask a completely dumb question because I know nothing about bikes. The last bike I owned was a Mongoose BMW bike with big neon colored fiberglass wheels when I was 10. So you get the picture.

Anyways, at my new place, I'm about 1 mile from work. I will try to ride to work as much as I can, but winters in Indiana tend to get nasty. So, what would be a good bike that is going to handle decently even if there is some light snow on the ground? I just need a commuter bike, nothing fancy because I don't want to worry constantly about this thing getting stolen.

Thanks.

This advice comes to you from someone who rides A LOT; a simple bike recommendation will fall short. Go to a bike shop and test ride several to get a feel for the different types of bikes.

You might like a comfort bike or a mountain bike better than a road bike or the other way around. There's really no other way to find something you'll like than to test ride a few.

Here's hoping you find one you like. Welcome back to the bike.

Personally, for commuting I prefer a mountain bike over a road bike, because of the feeling of higher stability and control that I have in the interaction with unknown terrains, gravel, abrupt moves, etc.

That's just me...

I see a lot of folks around here commuting on road bikes all the same... and it is much of a personal preference.

Id bet that a hybrid would be a good option, with wider tires than a roadbike, but a geometry that is more comfortable than either.

Be sure to get some fenders!!!!

JMH

I'd say, try to get as comfortable as you can. Some people can sit on those tiny saddles and some cannot. I can't. That is, I have to swap out the tiny seat on whatever bike to one that fits the shape of my rearend.

Originally Posted By: crw
I'd say, try to get as comfortable as you can. Some people can sit on those tiny saddles and some cannot. I can't. That is, I have to swap out the tiny seat on whatever bike to one that fits the shape of my rearend.

If you rely on a big cushy seat to sit comfortably, it only means you have not found he right saddle. The body's weight is supposed to rest to a very high percentage on the tips of your two protruding ischia ("sitting bones"). Sitting on your glutei maximi is not comfortable for any longer period. Sitting on muscle tissue will impede motion, cause chafing and bruising, and make your rear end overheat.

iscial tuberosities (sitting bones)

Specialized has a "butt meter," which allows you to make an impression from which your required saddle width can be gauged very accurately. Bike shops that carry Specialized products have an will let you use this glorified memory foam cushion. For future reference, measure the distance of the two impressions from center to center. This will allow you to choose the proper saddle width without the need for having the "butt meter" available.

Big and cushy seats may feel fine for a mile or two, but they are no suitable for even halfway serious riding. A bike saddle just does not function like a La-Z Boy chair.

Pick a properly fitted saddle and be amazed how it's so comfortable!

Originally Posted By: wavinwayne
This advice comes to you from someone who rides A LOT; a simple bike recommendation will fall short. Go to a bike shop and test ride several to get a feel for the different types of bikes.

You might like a comfort bike or a mountain bike better than a road bike or the other way around. There's really no other way to find something you'll like than to test ride a few.

Here's hoping you find one you like. Welcome back to the bike.

Agreed. A comfort bike will give you an upright position and should be very comfortable (can get a suspension seat post or even front suspension to help with small bumps). A road specific bike is overkill. A mountain bike may have a tad aggressive geometry for you. Some comfort bikes come with 700c wheels for "speed" but have wider rims for knobby style cyclocross tires. Pick up the latest Bicycling Magazine for a couple of options/ideas.

I was where you were a month ago. I hadn't ridden a bike in over 10 years. I needed something for the 2 mile ride to work but also something that wouldn't limit where I could go. I don't have the money for a road bike and a mountain bike so I bought a mountain bike.

I figure, part of the reason for riding to work is exercise so I wasn't too woried about a little extra effort to get there. Plus, it's a little more sure footed on all surfaces, I can go on and off curbs without worrying about hurting anything, disk brakes are an option which I wanted since I may ride in bad weather, and I can go with my friends on the weekends that ride trails.

Unfortunately entry level mountain bikes are around $500 which was very surprising to me.

Look on CraigsList or similar and pick up a somewhat decent used bike.
Avoid suspension. It's just extra weight. GOOD suspension is expensive and unneeded. Cheap suspension isn't worth having!
Pot some "street tires" on it with smooth tread.

IF you insist on riding in snow, get some studded tires. They'll be expensive though.

For 1 mile each way, you don't need real high end equipment. Chances are, after getting one bike (new or used) you'll have a better idea of what you really want in a bike, so don't spend a lot on the first one.

Avoid the dept. store bikes. 30 lb. bikes are easier to use than 40 lb. bikes!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back