Lincoln LS, I wanna do a transmission fluid change

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, steve here.
I know this is the wronge forum, I posted this in the trans forum. I just did not see any of you guys posting over there, so i wanted to get your views!!

I have a (new to me) 04 Lincoln LS V8 with a 5R55S transmission. The car has little over 80,000 thousand miles. I am useing Redline Motor Oil in the motor now.

I want to use the best Trans fluid I can.
Should I use Redline ATF, or Royal Purple ATF, or ? ?

What do you guys think is the best

Thanks guys

Redline has a history of excellent performance in transmissions. I have used it has never let me down. Amsoil has another good ATF. It seems that you are wanting to put synthetic in. Does it currently have synthetic ATF in the pan? I would research and make sure that there are no histories of issues to switching to synthetic from conventional as some auto trannys do have this problem. If it already has synthetic ATF, is it in good shape ie, nice and red, or is it browning? Also are you changing it yourself or getting it done by machine? Sometimes getting the flush machine involved can cause problems compared to a manual multiple drain refill method. If it is running conventional and it is a finicky tranny I have found that changing the fluid often 1-2 times a year is better maintanence and performance than leaving a Synthetic in for many years. My 2c

Originally Posted By: Smokescreen
Redline has a history of excellent performance in transmissions. I have used it has never let me down. Amsoil has another good ATF. It seems that you are wanting to put synthetic in. Does it currently have synthetic ATF in the pan? I would research and make sure that there are no histories of issues to switching to synthetic from conventional as some auto trannys do have this problem. If it already has synthetic ATF, is it in good shape ie, nice and red, or is it browning? Also are you changing it yourself or getting it done by machine? Sometimes getting the flush machine involved can cause problems compared to a manual multiple drain refill method. If it is running conventional and it is a finicky tranny I have found that changing the fluid often 1-2 times a year is better maintanence and performance than leaving a Synthetic in for many years. My 2c

Yes I want the best I can get. I am not sure of the fluid in there, but i nkow fords fluid is Synthetic, so am not worried.
My buddies shop is just gonna drop the pan, replace the filter, and filler up.

Thanks for the info

read my post in the trans forum. the fluid must be completely compatible with Mercon V. also i hope the shop you are taking it to has the proper took from Rotunda or equivalent to fill the transmission back up using the proper method since there is no dipstick.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
read my post in the trans forum. the fluid must be completely compatible with Mercon V. also i hope the shop you are taking it to has the proper took from Rotunda or equivalent to fill the transmission back up using the proper method since there is no dipstick.

Yea, i am going to do it with my buddy, in his full service shop.
(he said to drop the pan, but he will look it up in his book)

Last edited:
Don't pull the pan until you figure out how you are going to fill the trans. I've seen a few towed to the dealer once they discovered that there was no conventional fill hole.

Seriously, I own an old police car, and to keep the tranny tip top, I reaserched this topic to death. There is no better fluid then the good old mercon V. You should bve happy the factory actually uses good fluid.

I would just put in a drain plug and change the fluid every 15k if it bothers you. Tranny shed clutch debris and metal from gearsets, not to mention the shear that takes place. Do your tranny a favor and keep after it using regualr mercon v. Valvoline, castrol, and motorcraft all make this fluid. Walmart now stocks supertech mercon v that I hear is pretty good. I have never tried it though.

If your vehicle calls for Mercon V.....then you would need the D4 in the Redline ATF line-up.
I am using this in my '96 windstar (a far cry from your ride....but super hard on transmissions....so I have done a lot of reading on this).

As you are hard on it......I would be anal retentive about making SURE that it is changed at the recommended interval....at the minimum (consider "severe service" if you are super up on it).

If you don't have an auxillary transmission cooler (if automatic tranny) already.....I would expect you do....but mention it anyhow........I would consider one.

Also.....if you find yourself in stop and go traffic.......this is one of the toughest situations on a automatic transmission.
One trick that I use is to have the A/C on (most vehicles do this in the defrost mode also) as this will force the radiator fans to stay on......which will SERIOUSLY help in keeping the transmission fluid temperature down.....which is super important in transmission longevity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back