boot camp/parallels installation, windows updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
Hello,

I recently got a macbook pro for use with my graduate work. THis computer will last me for my graduate career, and that is great.

Since I need to run a few windows programs, I decided to get a copy of XP and then install it through bootcamp. Great, it works, I installed software on it and all was well.

I also got parallels so that I could run windows through mac for simplicity... sometimes I can see the need of doing it one way or the other...

Anyway, I installed parallels, and set it up to use my bootcamp partition, and that worked too. It told me that Id need to re-register windows, but it said I had three days... that is when the trouble began.

I went to windows update and told it to update. I had recently instaled office 2003, and so wanted to get that fixed up. It downloaded the updates (180 MB in all), and then couldnt install them... though it didnt tell me why.

Going back in mac, it wouldnt let me run parallels anymore, saying that it lost a driver of some start. Windows would still boot up as straight-up windows, however, when I tested that aspect. So I re-installed parallels, and that works. It now boots windows in mac. However, when I boot windows, every time I cannot use the wireless network adapter, it just wont get an IP address now. It sees the networks, and tries to connect, but never gets an IP. Further, the computer now hangs at startup into windows. Startup into Mac is fine and very fast, but into native windows it sometimes gets stuck...

Plus my updates still won't install.

So I have a semi-working wireless adapter, a hanging windows, and a parallels program in mac that got screwed up somehow but seems to be working now. Any ideas on what has happened and what the issue may be?

I am not necessarily expecting a flawless operation, and there are some issues - for example every time starting in windows, the "language toolbar" shows up though I deactivate it every time. The "connect to" menu on the start does not show up until long after the system hangs and then recovers. I can deal with nagging things, but stuff like the wireless adapter being unable to get an IP address, or even visit 192.168.1.1 is ridiculous.

Any thoughts on how to deal with any of this???

THanks in advance,

JMH

I run Win XP in Parallels but not Bootcamp. Check out this site which may help

http://www.macwindows.com

Regarding using the your wireless network in Win XP on Parallel, have you checked "Shared networking" under the "Devices" on the apple menubar? Doing this has solved the problem with getting an IP address for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back