subnet mask issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
Hello,

So Im trying to figure out why my wireless on windows XP on my macbook pro doesnt work.

The adapter works fine in Mac, it just doesnt work in windows.

I noted that the XP computer Im currently typing on uses a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0, whereas on the mac (in XP) the subnet mask is 255.255.0.0

So I need to change the one on the mac to be correct - perhaps then Ill be doing better.

It worked perfectly before installing parallels, BTW.

So, how do I change that subnet mask?

THanks,

JMH

to make it even more odd, I tried getting onto two neighbor's wireless systems... one is a linksys like mine, one a netgear.

The other linksys didnt work either... no luck. The netgeat one connected for me very quickly and without issue.

ANd it gave that 255.255.255.0 subnet mask...

Going back to my router, its the same old...

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

JMH

Is the subnet mask assigned dynamically by your router or do you set it statically in the PC? Since you have two different PCs and each one gets a different mask, then I have a feeling that on at least one of your PCs the mask is not being assigned dynamically (DHCP is disabled).

You need to make sure you don't have static IP address settings (ensure that DHCP is enabled on each PC), or if you do have static IP, then make sure the subnet mask is 255.255.255.0 as most home routers use Class C addressing (first three octets define the network, and the last octet defines a host address).

hello,

Its all dynamic, except for my desktop (mac mini) which is set to have a static IP so that the squeezebox can connect always. Its not even on right now... My other XP computer was, but its off and Im still having the same issue.

GOing into the router (though the bum computer can see and connect to the correct wireless router, it cant get into 192.168.1.1), the router states that it will set the subnet mask to 255.255.255.0.

Anyway, I dont have a static IP, the subnet should be 255.255.255.0, but it isnt. And its only all of a sudden, and its only showing a problem with linksys routers... Im typing to you from my new mac, running windows XP, connected wirelessly to the netgear router.

I just sure wish I could talk to my personal linksys router, given that all my other XP machines can...

THanks,

JMH

Last edited:
Unlikely scenario but may be worth checking: Could it be that your personal linksys router has a limited number of addresses it is allowed to give out using DHCP? Since the assignments don't expire for a week or so they may all be used. This is usually an easy configuration change.

I would try setting the address, subnet, gateway and DNS manually and see if that works. If it does then it's just DHCP not working correctly.

I wonder if you have security set on the Linksys so you are not getting an address from it because the "new" machine's MAC is not a trusted MAC.

Are you getting a valid IP address in the same subnet, or does that machine just get the standard windows default IP address. I think the default Windows IP is something like: 169.254.4.69 and a netmask of 255.255.0.0

Are you getting something like that? If so, you are not getting a valid IP or netmask, not just the netmask.

Well, ive tinkered a bit more tonight. All along, the wireless worked when booted into MAC, and didnt work in windows XP.

Recall that mine and a neighbor's linksys router didnt seem to work in XP, but the netgear did.

Well, I reset the router in our house... and now windows works with it on the mac again...

Strange that macos never hd an issue and windows did. Im just glad it now works in both OSes.

Thanks for all the info!

JMH

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back