Harley mechanic

Status
Not open for further replies.
A mechanic was removing a cylinder head from the motor of a Harley motorcycle when he spotted a well-known heart surgeon in his shop.
The surgeon was there, waiting for the service manager to come and take a look at his bike.
The mechanic shouted across the garage, "Hey, Doc, can I ask you a question?"

The surgeon a bit surprised, walked over to the mechanic working on the motorcycle. The mechanic straightened up, wiped his hands on a rag and asked, "So Doc, look at this engine. I open its heart, take valves out, fix 'em, put 'em back in, and when I finish, it works just like new. So how come I get such a small salary and you get the really big bucks, when you and I are doing basically the same work?"

The surgeon paused, smiled and leaned over, and whispered to the mechanic...
"Try doing it with the engine running."

Ah, but the mechanic really does have a point, especially if the patient is on a heart/lung machine then the engine has basically stopped for the surgeon to do the work!

Right, AFAIK the heart is stopped for surgery. But the Surgeon could ask the mechanic if he wants open heart surgery by doctor who only earns what the mechanic earns.

Originally Posted By: Vilan
"Don't worry, I use Fram replacement heart valves!"

A name you can trust...

crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted By: Spector
Ah, but the mechanic really does have a point, especially if the patient is on a heart/lung machine then the engine has basically stopped for the surgeon to do the work!

Not to take this thread too seriously, but when my daughter had her open heart surgery in February the Dr. cut a hole between the right and left ventricles while the heart was still beating. They basically shock the heart for a second causing it to quiver just long enough to make the incision. Sorta like making the engine sputter to the point of almost stalling, but not quite.

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
And the doctor only has to know one 'model'.
The mechanic needs to understand many different designs.

Every heart that is undergoing open heart surgery is different. If they weren't, chances are, they wouldn't need the surgery. For instance, my daughter is basically missing the right side of her heart, so the plumbing to the lungs has to be modified. Who'd a thunk that a body can function on "half a heart"?

Originally Posted By: Yuk
Originally Posted By: mechtech2
And the doctor only has to know one 'model'.
The mechanic needs to understand many different designs.

Every heart that is undergoing open heart surgery is different. If they weren't, chances are, they wouldn't need the surgery. For instance, my daughter is basically missing the right side of her heart, so the plumbing to the lungs has to be modified. Who'd a thunk that a body can function on "half a heart"?

One of the guys I work with has a grandson with a similar condition. They had to reroute all the heart plumbing to one side. Did all this work when he was less than one year old. Doctors say he should be able to lead a normal life. Best wishes for your daughter.

I know this started off as a joke but anyone that is really thinking there is any similarity please keep in mind....if the mechanic makes a mistake he has the chance to FIX it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back