Motive Power Bleeder-- GM cap vs. Universal Cap

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want to buy a Motive Pressure Bleeder to replace the brake fluid on my '96 Saturn SL2. Motive offers two models that is of interest to me. One model (#0108) includes a screw-on adapter/cap that is made specifically for GM, while the other (#0101) includes the universal adapter that works by clamping a cap to the reservoir using chains and hooks.

I want to use this bleeder to service non-GM vehicles as well, which is why I'm leaning toward the universal model at the moment. However, have any of you used the universal cap on GM vehicles? Does it seal well? The screw-on cap sounds so convenient, but I would rather buy the universal model if it works just as well on GM vehicles.

Thanks!

You can buy one model and an adapter, such as buy bleeder model# 0108 and Universal adapter# 0101.
I bought European bleeder model# 0100 and adapter# 0101 to use on Honda, Lexus and Mercedes.

Critic,

here is an excellent link on making your own pressure bleeder. Even if you buy one, there is good advice on how to make your own adapters MUCH cheaper than the $30 Motive ones.

http://www.bmw-m.net/TechProc/bleeder.htm

I use a mityvac to pressure bleed mine. BUT, I just use the fluid in the MC reservoir and top it off often. Tedious, but I have nothing better to do (avoids the wife's honey-do list!).

Those HF vacuum bleeders work, but it's sort of tedious and the dinky container that comes with it is not suitable for completely bleeding brakes.

Garden sprayer bleeder? I was under the impression that bleeder design dicates that the fluid and air be separated somehow (diaphram, etc.) to prevent aeration of the fluid.

My RoundUp filled sprayer gets pretty foamy after a few good pumps.

Last edited:
I made a Dodge cap. It was a hassle to make and didn't cost much less than the caps in a large Motive kit which are much higher quality. Universal caps take too long to set up and don't seal well. The twist on caps are worth it.

Thanks guys.

I think I'll just swallow the cost and buy a Motive Import Bleeder Kit that comes with the universal adapter and an adapter for European systems. Then I'll buy the GM adapter separately. Altogether, it will cost me $92 shipped, but then I'll have the adapters to service many vehicles efficiently.

Just received the kit in the mail today. I bought the Motive pressure bleeder and adapters 1108, 1100 and 1101. $90.97 shipped. I'm going to give it a try on Saturday..

Any suggestions? Do I need to pump the pedal?

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Just received the kit in the mail today. I bought the Motive pressure bleeder and adapters 1108, 1100 and 1101. $90.97 shipped. I'm going to give it a try on Saturday..

Im interested in buying one for the Jetta and Tacoma...let us know how it goes.

Originally Posted By: ARB1977
Originally Posted By: The Critic

Im interested in buying one for the Jetta and Tacoma...let us know how it goes.

I went ahead and assembled the bleeder tonight and did a "dry" run, meaning I hooked up the bleeder to the brake fluid reservoir and pressurized it without adding any fluid. The unit works exactly as advertised with the GM cap. No leaks on the first try. It took a few minutes to pump from 0 to 5 psi, but pumping it from 5 psi to 18 psi took less than a minute. I'll be doing the brake flush tomorrow, but I went ahead and took some pictures of the unit when it was attached to the car:

IMG_1230.jpg

IMG_1231.jpg

IMG_1232.jpg

doitmyself,

ref: http://www.bmw-m.net/TechProc/bleeder.htm

Thanks for posting the DIY power bleeder link .. what a great idea! I had been intending to purchase a Motive bleeder the next time I do a fluid change but now I'll just build one. I've always used a check valve at the end of a piece of clear tubing connected to the bleeder fitting .. a tedious process involving pumping the pedal and watching for clear fluid at the bleeder hose while pouring new fluid into the reservoir... repeat for each wheel..

Last edited:
The one drawback of these systems is that you could have moisture laden air in contact with the fluid as you are doing the exchange, contaminating the new fluid.

The quicker it is done, the better, I imagine. I am thinking of making some type of bladder to pour the fluid in so it stays pristine. Or, maybe not. A short exposure to air can't be that bad, can it?

Critic, don't forget that brake fluid is a powerful paint remover!

Originally Posted By: benjamming
How did it do on the GM vehicle with the universal adapter?

Someone on SaturnFans said the universal adapter worked fine for their vehicle, but I never tried. The GM specific adapter worked great for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back