Subaru WRX 07 - Amsoil SSO 0w30 - 3000 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ten

Hello,
I just got my first oil analysis.

I was hoping to get some better comment with my report like I saw from other companies. If someone could help me understand it that'd be great.

Where does the silicon and sodium come from? Why are there highlights on Boron and Magnesium. is it bad?

Thanks

Car and driving conditions info:

Oil was in the engine for 1 month and half
Street driven mix of city/highway
Aftermarket panel filter (Amsoil)
Stage 2 tuned

ssoOilAnalysis.jpg

Last edited:
Silicon is dirt that doesn't get filtered out of the airstream. Sodium is either a part of the add-pack in many modern oils, OR is a sign you have coolant contamination. Here, I can almost guarantee it is left-over from another oil.

Boron and Magnesium are detergent/dispersent adds (like Sodium), so aving them is normal. SSO usually doesn't have this much, so this could also be left over from another oil.

Did you change the oil with this sample? No offence, but on an oil as $$$ as SSO, it is a complete waste unless run to at least 10-12k miles, I'd say. If it hasn't been changed, you are all set for a good, long run!

This is an excellent report. With the silicon and sodium levels stated, they are more than likely part of the additive package. Silicon is used for anti-foam. If the silicon levels are up in the double digit numbers, it means dirt is getting in to the system via air filtration. Usually if this happens you will see the iron numbers go up. Your engine shows no wear at all. You could safely run this oil to 10K or more.

By the way, this is what a UOA should look like. No need for silly comments, just the facts.

Outstanding results. For a Stage 2 no less. If your warranty allows it, go for longer than 3000 miles.

Good report but a short interval. The viscosity was down a bit.

What's in there now? I would probably go with something more robust in a Stage 2, like the diesel 5w-40 or Dominator 10w-30. I'm now at 6k+ with the SSO.

Wow, the TBN is good.

-Dennis

Oh, wait. You probably don't want to run a 10w-30 in Canada during the winter.
cheers3.gif

19.gif

-Dennis

Originally Posted By: Johnny

By the way, this is what a UOA should look like. No need for silly comments, just the facts.

01.gif

I am 100% in agreement with you Johnny...leave the flowery rhetoric out of the reports and give me the facts.

Originally Posted By: bluesubie
cheers3.gif

19.gif

-Dennis

Even in a Canadian winter, ASL 5W-30 and ATM 10W-30 are SO similar that you run either down to -30 w/o a problem, I'd bet.

Originally Posted By: addyguy
Originally Posted By: bluesubie
cheers3.gif

19.gif

-Dennis

Even in a Canadian winter, ASL 5W-30 and ATM 10W-30 are SO similar that you run either down to -30 w/o a problem, I'd bet.

Good point. All of the Amsoil xw-30's have a low pour point.
banana2.gif

-Dennis

Thanks for the welcome and the load of info.

I had to search more in details for what exactly was a TBN and I'm glad to see that I could run the SSO longer than that. I'll try 6K next time and retest.

I changed the oil after the sample because I do run Diesel 5w40 on track days and always change it the day before. I had near zero consumption last time, compare to the 10w30 I usually use.

My plan was to run 0w30 year long and 5w40 on track. Temperature in winter around here can easily get to -35 celsius. Any objections or suggestions?

I've had excellent results with the Series 2000, 0w-30 in these motors, running 16,000 km intervals. The SSO formulation should last at least as long...

My vote would be Dominator 10w-30 on and off the track.

Lots of zinc and phosphorous like the diesel 5w-40, but it has Friction Modifiers and a lower viscosity. I would think there would be less drag, but still ample protection, with the Dominator.

That's my two cents.
19.gif

-Dennis

Last edited:
For some reason I had no knowledge about this series of oil. Is it new? I'll definitely look into it next summer.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back