Comcast broadband limit 250 GB start in October

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Cutehumor
http://consumerist.com/5043167/comcast-250-gb-cap-coming-october-1st

Wow. My fiber line has a 100 gig cap per month and I use about 15 gig a month for the family (and I use my fiber optic for my phone too)

How in the heck do you use 250 gig?

Bill

Bill, watch some HD movies online. Especially in a family situation where the kids are watching movies, you'll get to that cap easily.

Therein lies the rub: Comcast caps the data amount you use, but will gladly sell you HDTV service on your cable box for you to watch those same movies over the exact same cable hooked to the telephone pole. Thus, they've sold you two products, not one. The money grab here is appalling.

man I wish we got fiber here, I can hit 100+ in a month so I'm sure if I had fiber I could go well over 250.

but now with streaming video and even HD video sizes are just going to get bigger and more people will watch shows online especially since networks are now putting shows online, and with that there is going to be even more demand for bandwidth and faster speeds.

In the article Comcast claims their average customer uses 2-3GB a month. I wonder if that includes all the ARP traffic that is sent to their system thanks to Comcast's network design. (Assuming it's the same elsewhere).

In 5 minutes, 150,285 bytes were received by my otherwise idle cablemodem. Multiply by 6, that's 901,710 bytes in an hour. Multiply by 24, that's 21,641,040 bytes in a day. Multiply by 30, that's 649,231,200 bytes in a month of JUST ARP TRAFFIC!

Hey Comcast, do you think it'd be worthwhile to reconfigure your network so I'm not getting 600+ MB of ARP requests for non-existent IPs a month?

I don't mind the 250GB limit, but I want them to stop the silly P2P traffic throttling. As it is, the upload speeds suck donkey balls, and on top of that they employ mechanisms that limit it even further.

I'm getting 1.5megabit uploads here. Not coincidentally, Verizon FIOS is going to be installed in this area.

Not that I think Verizon will be any better than Comcast. Verizon told me it'd take a week for them to get someone out to fix my phone line when it got shorted with my neighbor's (I was getting two dialtones).

1 Gig peak, 1 Gig off peak, and throttled after that.

Get about 20 days before throttling.

throttling is such a pain in the arse. I got throttled by netflix. 3 at a time unlimited. now, I download with P2P programs, comcast resets my cable modem and I'm booted from downloading. major pain in the arse.

Glad I switched from Comcast... gotta love AT&T U-Verse (FIOS)
thumbsup2.gif
6gb down, 1gb up and I don't even have the highest package.
grin2.gif

250 gig is more than enough for the avg to above average user. This will not affect probably 95% of users. It will hurt many people who illegally download and share music and videos. ( And the few who watch movies on the net)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back