Bought a bike finally. Brake questions inside...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: MarkC
Sounds cool, have fun...but ponder what the "XC" on your bike stands for, and be careful doing downhill stuff, don't wanna break anything.

Breaking the bike is fine. Hopefully I don't break myself lol. The XC frame, fork, and general componets looks a bit more light duty than any other bike.

I couldn't help myself and got the Avid Speed dial 7 levers. Stock content remaining- 80%. By the end of the year I expect only the frame to be stock.... This is worse than a car.

Last edited:
I went over the bars today. Luckily, it wasn't a bad landing.

Careful replacing parts. It adds up fast and then you would have been better off buying a better bike to begin with.

Glad you're ok. I just about did the same due to user error, looking down at the caliper and hitting the brake not realizing 90% of my weight was over the bars.

I know this may not be the most cost effective way but it's a lot of fun for me. I've got a total of about $520 invested for an ok bike with some very good mechanical disks. Not bad so far. When the co-worker buys my old stuff it will take the total down to $490 which isn't too bad. Worst case scenario, I keep my old stuff, give the bike to the girlfriend who needs a new bike and transfer my good stuff to the new bike if needed.

Originally Posted By: BuickGN
Worst case scenario, I keep my old stuff, give the bike to the girlfriend who needs a new bike and transfer my good stuff to the new bike if needed.

crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted By: moribundman
Originally Posted By: BuickGN
Worst case scenario, I keep my old stuff, give the bike to the girlfriend who needs a new bike and transfer my good stuff to the new bike if needed.

crackmeup2.gif

She now has a matching bike and an extra set of stock pads and rotors lol.

Installed the Speed Dial levers yesterday and the difference was more than I expected. Much more power and modulation, with the only downside being a little more lever stroke. While the brakes are very linear, I would be scared for someone riding this bike for the first time without knowing how easily you can launch yourself over the handlebars.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back