High Octane Gasoline

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ndx

So is there point using Premium Gas ?
I know couple gas stations when they run out of cheap they sell premium gas at same price it happens from time to time ...

my car 04 Mazda 3 2.3L 4cyl.
I heard using premium gas in non turbo cars is bad.

Some vehicles need premium due to high compression or superchargers. Run anything less and you risk damaging the engine, and getting less power output.

If your vehicle doesn't have detonation issues, even when flogging it pretty hard, then premium is a waste.

Premium often has more cleaning agents in it.
If used only occasionally, it certainly won't hurt.
I've heard it carbons up engines that don't need it if used
constantly.

You don't need it.

The best gas for your car is the lowest octane it can take without detonating.

If your car advances the timing with a knock sensor, then yeah premium might help performance.

If you have a car with a blower or a turbo, then you need premium to fight detonation.

Car & Driver magazine did a test on 4 cars several years ago. The cars were supposed to run on 87 octane and they tested with 91 or 93 and 87. In two case the cars meant to run on 87 produced LESS HP when running the higher octane. I too have read that the high octane contains more cleaner but, TOP TIER requirements state the same level + 8-10% Alcohal must be in ALL grades to get the top tier rating.

Whatever your car says to use, use. if it was tuned to run on 87, then it will run best on 87. putting 93 in it will make you lose HP. Octane has nothing to do with power. the higher the octane the higher the gas can be compressed untill it explodes.

If you put low octane gas in a high compression motor(one that calls for 91+), the cylnder compressing the air and gas can explode before it should. thuse causing problems.

If your car calls for 87 and you put a tank of 93 in every now and then it mess's with the cars computer. always speeding up or slowing down the system. you want your car to use on grade for the duration so the computer allways knows whats going to happen when it sends a spark. thats how you get the best MPG.

Use a fuel system cleaner every 5000-7000 miles if you are worried about not getting a lot of detergents.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Eddie
Car & Driver magazine did a test on 4 cars several years ago. The cars were supposed to run on 87 octane and they tested with 91 or 93 and 87. In two case the cars meant to run on 87 produced LESS HP when running the higher octane. I too have read that the high octane contains more cleaner but, TOP TIER requirements state the same level + 8-10% Alcohal must be in ALL grades to get the top tier rating.

Are you sure on the alcohol requirement? In rural parts of PA, shell does not have stickers on the pump stating ethanol requirement, and in PA it is the law to have a sticker on the pump with the ethanol content.

Then the motor was made to perform best on Premium.
If you would like your motor to preform at its best(power+MPG) you know what to do.

for an extra 80 cents for premium, its a no brainer.

Plus it is true, the high octane dose have more detergents, but that should not influence one to use it if there car dose not call for it.

I have exclusively used Shell V-Power 93 octane gasoline in my 2007 Honda Civic since the first fill up. Shell V-Power contains 5X the EPA mandated detergent additive content, compared to 2X the mandated requirement in their 87 & 91 octane grades. I have not seen any other brand of gasoline make this claim. Chevron states that they add the same amount of detergent additives to all three grades of their gasoline, but how much do they add? Does this mean that they add just enough Techron to meet the EPA mandate? Who knows, because like everything else it is hard to interpret slick advertising claims.

In the end, 93 octane gasoline burns at the same rate as 87 octane gasoline. The 93 octane gasoline resists detonation better than its 87 octane counterpart, which means that it is less likely to ignite before the spark plug fires. The only other real difference are the chemicals used in the blending process. In general, some of the material that ends up in 87 octane gasoline cannot be used in 93 octane gasoline. It has always been my understanding that using 93 octane gasoline in a well maintained engine that was designed to use 87 octane gasoline will not lead to incomplete combustion or additional carbon buildup in the combustion chambers or valves.

Most modern cars come equipped with "Knock Sensors" that will automatically advance or retard timing to compensate for fuel quality, including the octane number. For example, the manual for my Civic LX states that it should use 87 octane "or higher" fuel. Using 93 octane does not cost me that much more, since I typically fill up every 3-4 weeks. An extra 25 cents per gallon will add a whopping $45 per year to my fuel bill.

Do I really "need" 93 octane, no. Is it hurting anything other than my wallet to use 93 octane, no as well.

Last edited:
Mazda Manuals says 87 (91Ron) or Above so i guess im safe to run something else then 87

I looked at the top tire fuel requirements and yes, it states 8-10% ethonal. Google auto, gas, top tier and you should find it.

then`you`are`misreading`the`requirements,`cause`they`don't`say`that.

sorry,space`bar`is`not`working`on`this`keyboard.

Knock Sensors detect spark knock, and the computer takes away ignition advance. KSs can't add advance or tell the computer to do so.
The bottom line is if you have a functioning KS on the car, use whatever fuel the mfr recommends. If you unplug it, you MAY have to go up a grade. Generally the car will run better, as the KSs go off for many other reasons, and yank a LOT of advance. The power curve will be smoother.
You are assured of getting the maximum amount of cleaners in anybodys premium, but some brands have the same amount in all grades.

Top Tier deposit Control standard 1.3.1.2 base fuel contains no less than 8.0 % nor more than 10.0 ethanol. Seems clear to me.

Not so clear as this has been discussed many times here.

To qualify for "Top Tier" status, the test is actually testing the additive package for each company - the sentence you are referring too above is the standard "base fuel" that the additive package is added to for the test.

Top Tier fuels do NOT require ethanol, but are tested with a "base fuel" that contains 8-10% ethanol to pass.

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
Knock Sensors detect spark knock, and the computer takes away ignition advance. KSs can't add advance or tell the computer to do so.
The bottom line is if you have a functioning KS on the car, use whatever fuel the mfr recommends. If you unplug it, you MAY have to go up a grade. Generally the car will run better, as the KSs go off for many other reasons, and yank a LOT of advance. The power curve will be smoother.
You are assured of getting the maximum amount of cleaners in anybodys premium, but some brands have the same amount in all grades.

The Knock Sensor sends a signal to the computer. The computer relies on this signal to advance the timing until pinging is detected, then retards the timing until the pinging stops.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_does_a_knock_sensor_do

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back