Amsoil 15W40-CTD 8800 miles +/-

Status
Not open for further replies.
All here is my latest UOA, I have switched to Amsoil 15w40 but am concerned over high iron...I ran this oil 1300 miles longer than I wanted but due to last minute trip I could not replace filter and re-top oil level. I planned on running another 8k miles but will re-sample in 4k miles (btw I added 1 1/2 quarts with new filter). Not to doubt Blackstone but I did take a second sample and send to Oil Analizers, this should be available tomorrow afternoon...

What are everyones thoughts?????

2006CTD_Amsoil_8800miles.gif

Your engine is still breaking in at 23k miles. Iron is not all that high with 9k on the oil. Also the potassium is a little high as well, but should drop with some more miles as well. Everything else looks good, low insoluables and silicon.

Something odd here - the two previous Rotella samples should not have thickened significantly after 3k-5k miles.

Are you running an oil additive of any kind???

I would watch that K level (present in all three tests), it could indicate a slow coolant leak. I'd check up on the additives in the Cummins coolant formulation.

***Here are the results from Oil Analyizers***

Results are very close, I have posted the three items that were high on Blackstone reports...with this being said what are my options for the high Potassium? do I present to dealer and examine options what?? Also should I send in a virgin sample of the Amsoil (same batch I started with) to see what VOA looks like?

COMMENTS Data flagged for observation only; Iron is at a MINOR LEVEL; IRON SOURCE in engines can be cylinder liners, iron pistons, hardened steel camshafts, crankshafts, gears, hardened rocker arms, valve bridges, alloyed steel cam follower rollers, etc.; Potassium sources: coolant (antifreeze), lube additive or supplement, coating on new bearings, rust preventive coating, or environmental; Flagged additive levels are higher than expected for the lubricant that is identified (This does not imply that the lubricant does not meet proper API, SAE or ISO classifications.);

Iron = 67
Potassium = 30
Magnesium =107

Since you live on the FL coast, the potassium can be from the environment (salt laden air & beach sand). However in that case I'd also expect to see sodium.

Right now the K isn't causing any issues, so I'd just keep track of it. If/When the potassium level is > 100 ppm, I'd take the test data to the dealer and document it.

I have seen small amounts of K in my samples as well, up until my 28k sample it dropped to nothing. Like I said before, most 3rd gens show k when the engine is still breaking in and then they drop to nothing. I have seen it with my truck and a couple on here. The MLS head gasket on the commonrails can take some serious abuse before letting go. When you see a positive for glycol, then take the truck and the report to the dealer.

Last edited:
Here is the Oil Analyzers check

2006CTD_Amsoil_8800miles_OA.jpg

Iron was higher and Potassium was lower..they flagged Magnesium as well. Could the higher Magnesium be from changing around on fuel additives??

Last edited:
Hello,

sorry shup, I can't help you with this UOA, but Harley might tell me about an MLT head gasket.

Is it available for older B-series 4 cyl. engines and will it last longer, avoiding coolant leaks to the outside and crankcase?

I hear of some B-series engines that leak at 8-9000 hrs, ours likely included.

Are there other gasket types for the Cummins?

Shup,

I'd stop the fuel additive the next time around, in order to remove it as a variable. A recent VOA of this oil showed only 15 ppm of Magnesium, so that also points to internal or external contamination.

Engine wear is fine and the oil held up very well, but these trace elements are puzzling.

Ok so.... Here is the latest UOA on my truck. Oil was same lot of Amsoil 15w40 Marine, note lower iron vs last check and much lower Magnesium?? Also stupid Porassium is up slightly...WHY WHY WHY?? Any thoughts would be great, I did drop the oil and go to Delvac for economics..

CTDUOAApr090001.jpg

Numbers actually look pretty good. Fe dropped nicely. SWEET TBN.

Yeah the K seems worrisome. But 30 and 32 PPM means it's basically unchanged......environment or coolant, I just don't know. Hmm....so you aren't losing any coolant. I would think if it's environment, Na, and even Si might be up. Do they do coolant sniff tests on diesels?

So I took my Dodge intothe dealer yesterday, a multitude of small issues and warranty is out in 2k miles...Last item I mentioned was that the Potassium was trending up since I bought the vehicle, the guy asked me what that meant to him! I said well the motor is under warranty for 100k, maybe you should have your manager contact Cummins rep and see what he says...Guy said 'why do you check your oil'..I said umm cause I am anal retentive like that and what does it matter to you guys? He said I was stupid (great since I bought a 40k CTD and $35k 300 from them..your right I WAS stupid)

I am interested in seeing what happens with these guys, I am at my ropes end with this dealer and will move to another 40 miles away after this..

Sorry to hear about your experience with your dealer, but it's certainly not a "unique" postion to be in.

Sometimes, it's burdensome to be informed. As they say, "Ignorance is bliss" ...

You must have a very happy dealer.

I did get the truck back and the Service guy said when your Potassium is at 140 then we will worry! Guess they can worry when there is a HUGE hole in the block then! Asked for them to note it on my record.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back