Injector Cleaner ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ndx

So lucas is selling some Injector Cleaner.... and Lubricant ?
Should i use this stuff ? In newer car 04 Mazda ?

what brand should I pick ?

Wrong section, there is a fuel section.

If you want to try it, go for it. A lot of people use it and like it. I have used it.

Right now i am trying Redlines SI-1 fuel system cleaner and Lubricant. I like it so far.

Any of the major brands should work fine. But know, none of them are magic cures in a bottle.

I've used Lucas UCL in my car for a couple tanks now, but don't really see any diference. I put some in my moms 2002 H6 3.0 Outback before a recent trip, and it didn't get any better mileage on that tank than it did on subsequent tanks that did not have any in it.

This last tank in my car is using 85.5 octane, even though I had previously always used 88 to prevent the detonation issues I'd been having. The 85.5 with Lucas hasn't had any audible detonation problems yet. If the Lucas is responsible for that, then I'll keep using it.

is there any bad side of using this stuff ?
I heard it may kill o2 sensors or catalytic converter ?
And it mess up with spark plugs - and oil ?

There's supposedly potential for carbon in the combustion chamber and coked up rings from burning oil.

I did get a P0420 code in my car last night, which is for a catalytic converter being below efficiency. I had just recently switched from 88 octane to 85.5 octane, and I had a 750:1 ratio of Lucas UCL in the tank. The computer had not yet been reset.

I did have a P0420 code several months ago, at the same time that I got a P0402 code for my EGR differential pressure sensor. It may have been unrelated, or it may have been due to fuel. I don't know.

I have no mufflers on my car, which lets the exhaust flow pretty freely through the cats. That might contribute to the problem by making the cats less efficient.

So, in short, I don't think the problems that I've had, or the problems that I've read about with another vehicle having a cat die can be attributed solely to Lucas UCL.

Originally Posted By: Ndx
So lucas is selling some Injector Cleaner.... and Lubricant ?
Should i use this stuff ? In newer car 04 Mazda ?

what brand should I pick ?

I was told by a very reputable mechanic who runs his own independent Volvo/BMW repair shop not to use most over-the-counter injector/fuel system cleaners (like Gumout, etc.) as they are high in alcohol and solvents that can degrade fuel system parts. He said BG44K (expensive I know) does work without the side effects. Also the Techron products work - but not as well as BG44K. Techron is cheaper, though, so you could just run several back to back treatments for the same or less $$ than BG44K and get perhaps similar results. I use Chevron or Texaco gas periodically (along with Shell V-power) as they already contain Techron.

I asked him about carbon build up on valves and other areas and he said that with the additives that are now required in all gasolines, he hasn't seen carbon on valves and intake components in many years. He said its just not a problem any more - particularly in fuel injected engines -which most are these days.

Last edited:
These cleaners say they will not harm o2 sensors or CATS. These products wont harm the car.

chevrofreak, what kind of car is it, what kind of gas do you use, how many miles are on the car?
You removing mufflers have no effect on the cats what so ever. the cat is before the mufflers.

Cats go bad sooner or later.

96 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor. I used to use 88 octane Conoco, but now use 85.5, and it has just shy of 125,000 miles on it.

My theory is that the removal of the mufflers and tailpipes (about 10 feet per side removed) as well as the H pipe lessened the backpressure so much in the cats that they don't heat up as much as they used to.

I didn't get my first cat efficiency code until shortly after I hacked the entire exhaust system off behind the cats and just put turndowns on it.

I've used a couple of quarts of Lucas UCL/"injector cleaner" and I have not seen a single benefit. No improvement in any aspect of operation. I won't be using it again.

Redline SI-1 : definitely cleared up some pinging and small idling issues I had in the past. I'll use it again.

i got SI-1 .. so i need to add half bottle . to full tank ? around 55liters ?

Quote:
ok, what everyone needs to see is that techron is already in chevron's gasoline when you pump it into your car, same with shells clean system gasoline it already has the additives in it. thats why their gas is more expensive not just because it's name brand gas. the only time you should use the EXTRA injector cleaner is when you go to a mom and pop or fast stop discount gasoline. its not that their gas isn't as good as the name brands its just cheaper because it doesn't have the additives and your engine can gunk up after repeated use of those kinds of gasoline. but thats after years of use not just a tank. it won't rob you of performance after one trip. when you dump a bottle of the injector cleaner or engine gas treratment in your car you are pretty much dumping straight kerosine in your car. because believe it or not kerosine is a great old fashion and fast way to completely clean your internals, I have seen it done.
people would drain the oil from their car and then put a little bit of kerosine in their and let it idle for a minute or two, drain it and put new oil in. that injector cleaner is basically the same thing just not as strong. you can't drive with the kerosine in or else you'll hurt your seals so you just let it idlle. but again thats only for people who have like 200,000 miles on their car not 10,000 miles on a year old or brand new car. thats what those additives are made for. if you keep putting stuff like that in your car when you don't really need it, your gonna end up with oil leaking from your gaskets.

What do you think about that ?

I don't know if you've noticed my comments in the older BMW/SI-1 thread, but I've been measuring the effects of different additives and fuels on my car for some time now. When I have used Shell gasoline without extra additives, it has not made any improvement compared to non-detergent gasoline. However, when I have used Redline SI-1, or Gumout Regane, it has made a very clear difference. Those products do not rely on kerosene or other low-grade cleaners for their effects.

Gumout Regane uses kerosene as the carrier for the polyether amine. It may not be the main cleaner, but it's there.

I want to try the large Vehicle Fuel System Cleaner, which uses "petroleum distillates" as the carrier. Petroleum distillates really doesn't mean much, but there's a possibility that it will add lubricity to the mix.

I think Redline SI-1 is actually cheaper than both on a $ per ounce basis. If it were available locally I know that I would skip right over the Gumout products.

Gumout Regane
KEROSENE 8008-20-6 60 - 70%
POLYETHER AMINE MIXTURE 30 - 40%

Gumout Large Vehicle Fuel System Cleaner
PETROLEUM DISTILLATES MIXTURE 60 - 70%
POLYETHER AMINE MIXTURE 30 - 40%

Redline SI-1
30 - 50% PolyEther Amine
1-10% Isooctanol - TLV- None established CAS # 104-76-7
5-20% Aliphatic Naphtha - TWA - 100 ppm - CAS # 64742-88-7

There's apparently other stuff in the SI-1 that isn't listed on the MSDS.

Could kerosene be classified as a petroleum distillate?

Per ounce of PEA, in my area, the cost for Regane and SI-1 are very similar if you assume the PEA is in the middle of the stated range. I do tend to believe that the SI-1 has additional benefits, though, mainly as a lubricant for the fuel system and top end, so I prefer it. As far as observable cleaning ability for injectors, though, I'd consider them equals.

I can't imagine kerosene as a carrier would have any bad effects, but I doubt it would do anything beneficial, either.

It's not instantaneous.
Maybe a couple of hundred miles or most of the tank; judging by my experience.
Could happen quicker, but don't expect that.

Those Gumout MSDS PDF's that I referenced for that data have both been changed in the last few days.

Now, both the Regane and Large Vehicle Fuel System Cleaner list this.

2. COMPOSITION/INFORMATION ON INGREDIENTS
Chemical Identity CAS No. Concentration
Kerosine 8008-20-6 60.00 - 70.00 %
Distillates (petroleum),
hydrotreated heavy paraffinic
64742-54-7 30.00 - 40.00 %
Blend of kerosine and additives.

Did they go and change the formula on us?! First Chevron did it with the Techron, and now Gumout....

I'm going to have to order some Redline SI-1.

Originally Posted By: Ndx
i got SI-1 .. so i need to add half bottle . to full tank ? around 55liters ?

I have a 64 liter tank and I chuck the entire bottle in for the "quick clean-up" that is mentioned on the bottle. I've done this many times. If you've never run any cleaners before you might want to try this a couple of tankfuls in a row. I've also used the maintenance program with SI-1 with the graduations on the side of the bottle.

I don't run this stuff all the time, but I'll do it a few times per year - whenever it occurs to me. I put about 50K - 60K km per year on the car so I have lots of opportunity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back