Oil pan gasket leaking, know how to replace but...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oil pan gasket leaking, know how to replace but I need to know how to get around the transmission that is covering one side of the pan, partly over the bolts.

Car of interest is a 97 Integra automatic. Everyone that tells you how to do it online said you just remove the cover on the manual transmission, the lower exhaust manifold (B pipe), and then the bolts. Reverse for installation (plus the correct torque and sequence with a small amount of permatex at the designated area.

Anyone tried it on an auto integra?

thats how you do it, its a pretty straight forward job. i would look at replacing the oil pan too, considering they strip out really easy.

I have one myself, but it's a 95 automatic (same exact setup though). Sorry I haven't had to replace my oil pan gasket yet, it's original so I wouldn't know how to get around the automatic transmission.
Are you positive it's the oil pan gasket? A very, very common thing with the B18 engine in the Integra is the cam plug to leak down the block causing you to believe it's the oil pan gasket, etc.

Originally Posted By: ThirdeYe
I have one myself, but it's a 95 automatic (same exact setup though). Sorry I haven't had to replace my oil pan gasket yet, it's original so I wouldn't know how to get around the automatic transmission.
Are you positive it's the oil pan gasket? A very, very common thing with the B18 engine in the Integra is the cam plug to leak down the block causing you to believe it's the oil pan gasket, etc.

80% positive. I checked around the cam plug and the valve cover gasket to make sure that they are clean all around. The +/- 2 inches around the oil pan gasket are all sticky with dirt on oil. The top end is recently rebuild so I'd imagine it is either the main seal or the oil pan gasket.

Keep in mind that when the cam plug leaks, it won't look like it's leaking. But, the oil pan gasket is indeed possible. Just thought I'd throw that suggestion out there and possibly save you the hassle if it wasn't actually the oil pan gasket.
thumbsup2.gif

ThirdeYe,

Thanks for the recommendation, I will check the cam seal/plug. I know they are famous to leak, just replaced the coolant hoses that was expanding like a ballon this weekend and checked for the condition around, doesn't look like a leak anywhere. My mechanics rebuild the top end after an overheat related head warp, and verified that it is fine. Was told that the cam seal problem is fixed starting at around 97, so I should be ok.

Kind of found out that there is a "Torque converter cover" that I can remove to access the blocked bolts/nuts.
55.gif

13st70_e18.gif

#2 in photo here.

Last edited:
That TC cover is common, used to be called the "flywheel inspection plate" on manual transmission cars... like you'd ever have to inspect the thing.

The only thing you need worry about is clearance on the oil pan bolts right up against the flexplate; may need wobblers, u-joints and or 1/4" drive sockets.

Remove a-pipe, inspection cover, removable frame crossmember, and the brackets that connect the trans to the engine block. This is off of memory, so I think that's all you need. Can be done relatively easily with some common tools and patience.

It's kind of a messy job, so if you do it in the garage or whatever, make sure to lay some cardboard down so the wife doesn't get mad.

I recommend applying a THIN layer of liquid gasket, such as Hondabond HT, to the oil pan gasket before installing. Hondabond HT is oil and gas resistant, good stuff! Can be found at all local Honda and Acura dealers. That's what Honda uses to seal the aluminum gasketless oil pans to the block. It's somewhat tacky, so it holds the new gasket to the pan while your putting it back together.

Make sure to not overtighten the oil pan bolts, because you'll just end up crushing the gasket and it'll eventually leak again.

And yes, the oil pan gasket leaking is common especially on high mileage Integras.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back