Re-tapping...can someone explain it to me?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought a used Mustang motorcycle seat today for short money...was happy as a pig in poop until I went to mount it and noticed that one of the brackets was stripped out...well it was not totally stripped out when I first had it...I could screw the bolt on maybe 3/4 of the way into it before it could go no more....me using my caveman mentality figured I'll just put a ratchet on it and push it through

Bad idea
33.gif

Now I have a semi smooth larger hole in the bracket that is stripped out...

Someone over on another forum mentioned having a local mechanic retap the threads...said he could probably do it quick and for short money....I'm a bit naive when it comes to this stuff so was wondering if someone could bring me up to speed on how this is accomplished...

I see a ruined bracket that needs to be replaced..others say it is an easy fix that should take no time at all

I've included some pics

IMG_0062.jpg

IMG_0063.jpg

Here is one to show how far I got before I tried the ratchet idea
smirk2.gif

IMG_0052-1.jpg

Any insight? Easy fix or am I dead in the water?

Goose
34.gif

A "tap" is the tool used to cut internal threads. It might clean up your mess but if you have already stripped the threads then there is nothing there to cut new threads into. Can you go up to the next larger bolt size? is there room to weld a nut on the backside? A local machinist would be able to fix you right up, maybe making and installing new brackets.

A local machine shop is the quick fix here. Be advised though; the hourly labor rate at most shops starts around $50, so nothing is going to be super-cheap.

I deal with machinists on a daily basis for my job. A good one is worth his weight in gold. An average one.......well, you still don't want to let him go.

Tapping might involve going to the next size up. Can you use a larger bolt for this application?

Could you just drill out the bad threads, use the same size bolt, and put a nut on the inside....some sort of lock nut? Or, have a welder tack weld a nut on the back side. There are probably nuts with some kind of "holder" to eliminate the tack weld....MacMaster Carr has a gazillion fasteners, threaded inserts, etc..

The Mustang site looks like a top notch company. I would contact them to check the availability of a whole new bracket. Its only pop riveted on. Might be cheaper in the long run.

Definitely repairable. Good luck.

Not sure on the next size up...probably not as I'm using the OEM bolts so space is limited..I'll have to see

I sent an email to Mustang asking them what the cost would be...they are only 2 states over so hopefully it would be a quick turn.

Easy fix for Mustang to put a new bracket on? Not sure what would be involved in the whole pop rivet thing

Thanks

Goose
34.gif

Originally Posted By: doitmyself

Could you just drill out the bad threads, use the same size bolt, and put a nut on the inside....some sort of lock nut? Or, have a welder tack weld a nut on the back side. There are probably nuts with some kind of "holder" to eliminate the tack weld....MacMaster Carr has a gazillion fasteners, threaded inserts, etc..

Probably as that is what the OEM setup is like...(nut on inside)

Goose
34.gif

Originally Posted By: Pablo
That looks like a threaded insert (aka "PEM" nut)...it's possible someone could press that one out and press a new one in.

That is what I was just wondering Pablo..I was just going to post that it looks like an insert already........wonder how hard or expensive that is to do

Goose
34.gif

You might be able to press it out with a bolt/vice. But it does look like a threaded insert ... lots of different options presented here. Can you easily get to other side if you grind off rivets? IE to replace the rivets with bolt/nuts. A button head cap screw would look decent.

If you tap it for the larger size, the larger bolt probably won't fit through the attachment hole. So you may need to modify that, as well.

It looks pressed on, as others have mentioned. If it's not loose just drill it out to the OD of the bolt being used and use a nut to hold it. If that will be too cobby then helicoil it if there is enough metal for one.

Called Mustang this morning and they are going to send me out a new bracket at no cost. I just need to pop rivet the new one on.

That says a lot about that company even though I bought the seat 2nd hand.......

I think I will be doing a lot more business with them
thumbsup2.gif

Guess that solves that! Thanks for all the insight guys..I actually did learn something from all the suggestions

Goose
34.gif

I had a hunch they would do that! Their website screams of a company that is very proud of their product and cares about their customers.

Mustang Motorcycle Seats deserves a round of applause.

To you youngsters here, this is how many US companies operated not too long ago. Quality product. Quality service. It's all so simple.

To remove the old pop rivets, use a good drill and bit just slightly bigger than the hole in the middle. NOT as big as the rivet flange. This will preserve the original hole size. Or, take it to a good shop and it should be a ten minute job. Check youtube for a video about pop rivets...they are really simple.

Glad to hear you made out o.k..

Looks like by drilling the old rivets you are pretty much just vaporizing them? Not really pulling them based on some of the vids on You Tube...correct?

Goose
34.gif

Drill rivets with 1/8 inch drill bit. That's the size of smallest rivets normally found in commercial use. Somewhere after drill reaches depth slightly more than thickness of rivet head, the head will climb your drill bit, the butt of the rivet will become detached inside seat(totally harmless) and you'll be ready to rush down to Home Depot (or similar) and buy your very own rivet gun and rivet assortment! As soon as you've popped those 2 rivets into that seat and discovered how easy and fun riveting is,,,,EVERYTHING around the house is suddenly going to look in need of a "pop rivet fix"!!

Bob

Last edited:
Make sure the head of the rivet is fully seated against the surface before popping it and that both pieces of metal are in contact. Otherwise the rivet will not join correctly and you will have to drill it out again. Learned that real fast back in the day at the sheet metal shop.

I wish it was that easy when I drilled the rivets out of my window regulators. Broke two drill bits and sliced up my fingers in the process. They were replaced with bolts when I put the new one in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back