Hurricane Gustav

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, you could build a port anywhere. But the river isn't going to be any easier to control and access to the Gulf won't be any simpler. We HAVE to tangle with nature on this issue somehow. It's just a question of where and when. If we let the Mississippi take its natural course, Baton Rouge would be high and dry as well. So you'd have to make a major investment in somewhere else. Dunno...
21.gif

Just for future reference, though, the whole city isn't below sea level. Just 49%.
LOL.gif

Hey, at least it seems the coast is making it out okay with minimal destruction, ie, it's just a "regular" hurricane. Although, those shots of the Industrial Canal levy weren't too inspiring today.
shocked2.gif

Didn't even read most of the rhetoric. Most of it is you guys who end up having to hate some one or somewhere.

Bring it on, I could care less.

Midwest has floods,

California has fire, drought, floods, earth quakes, mud slides.

New york city has crime

Pittsburg well it ain't right

Detroit, that's some Mayor yous guys got.

Hartford

Whatever.

Back to the hurricane.

Been on generator power since 0900. Trees down everywhere, bunch of shingles gone off the back roof. Neighbor has a tree in his living room--busted his TV. I don't expect electricity back until maybe the end of the week. No standing water to speak of. All healthy.

By the way I am shutting back down to save power.

what about that tunnel falling in in Boston?

Bridge to no where in Alaska.

New Orleans is still the only sty in the eye, huh.

Lol, running on a generator and posting on BITOG. Too funny. My part of the state is starting to feel it now. Parents and in-laws all outta power. My office has been given admin leave at least thru tomorrow... Probably Wednesday as well.

What's crazy is this thing is STILL a hurricane so far inland. We usually never have hurricanes this far inland.

Brian makes some great points about NO. Yes, were we selecting a location to build a new city today, the current site of NO would probably not be a wise choice. Alas, the French didn't have the benefit of our 21st century know-how and experience when they started building a couple hundred years ago. So it's not like choosing today to build atop, or next to, a volcano (but that was an amusing contrast). But now, the infrastructure is embedded, as is the demand for the products that rely upon the port (not just petro, but that's a huge one). We could rebuild all the necessary infrastructure at another location, and we'd get a new seaport, but the problem is, it would be a SEAport, which always means interacting with the sea. NOLA certainly has some fundamental problems, but I'm afraid as a practical matter, we're stuck with them now.

What other major US city has needed an evacuation twice in three years, and so much money spent on it in repairs?

Sorry, but NO just about isn't worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back