Pulled valve covers today - PICS - '95 Jeep V8

Status
Not open for further replies.
Changed my valve cover gaskets today and was pleased at the cleanliness of the rocker arms and valve springs. No sludge! This is a 1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.2L V8 with 136k miles. I bought it in '02 with 80k miles on the clock. Previous owner ran dino oil and Fram filters, but I have used Mobile 1, Royal Purple, and currently Penzoil Platinum.

2812101917_1a46042cbf_b.jpg

2812101331_a75db86651_b.jpg

Just goes to show that it is never too late to switch to synthetic.

Nice looking engine.

Do please remember, however, that MOBIL*-1 (with no "E" anywhere it it) is an oil, whereas "Mobile"** is a medium-sized city on the Alabama gulf coast. . .

* "Moe-bull"

** "Moe-bee-uhl"

Originally Posted By: ekpolk
Nice looking engine.

Do please remember, however, that MOBIL*-1 (with no "E" anywhere it it) is an oil, whereas "Mobile"** is a medium-sized city on the Alabama gulf coast. . .

* "Moe-bull"

** "Moe-bee-uhl"

Or a house on wheels.

Originally Posted By: ekpolk
Nice looking engine.

* "Moe-bull"

** "Moe-bee-uhl"

At least he doesn't write for the New Jersey Business News.
56.gif

Originally Posted By: Steve S
why would you want to switch to syn oil?

Steve, YMMV. Conventional oils weren't nearly as good as they are today throughout history. He's someone who happens to have an engine that appears to be void of a variety of issues that could have resulted in various levels of deposits. Everything from nothing to severe. The previous owner probably over maintained it ..and maybe he did too.

Look at the date of manufacture. This engine is 14 years old (I didn't catch the current mileage?) ..and doesn't even have "normal" accumulations that one would expect.

(there's a smile on my face) I really love it when someone says to me "Why would you want to do something like that?". There's always an implied "that's real stupid in my view" attached to it in the background. It's rarely termed in a "what advantages do you seek with choosing a synthetic over a conventional given today's offerings?" (again BIG SMILE here, pal).

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
He's someone who happens to have an engine that appears to be void of a variety of issues that could have resulted in various levels of deposits. Everything from nothing to severe. The previous owner probably over maintained it ..and maybe he did too.

Look at the date of manufacture. This engine is 14 years old (I didn't catch the current mileage?) ..and doesn't even have "normal" accumulations that one would expect.

The previous owner definitely didn't over maintain the Jeep. I'd imagine the oil change intervals weren't great, this guy wasn't really a car person. So after 80k miles of not so great maintenance, no oil change or service records, I switched to synthetic and at 136,000 miles the engine is clean. I would have expected at least some build up. If the engine were continually fed dino oil at longer OCIs I bet the pictures would look a lot different.

Originally Posted By: uazj1
He's someone who happens to have an engine that appears to be void of a variety of issues that could have resulted in various levels of deposits. Everything from nothing to severe. The previous owner probably over maintained it ..and maybe he did too.

The previous owner definitely didn't over maintain the Jeep. I'd imagine the oil change intervals weren't great, this guy wasn't really a car person. So after 80k miles of not so great maintenance, no oil change or service records, I switched to synthetic and at 136,000 miles the engine is clean. I would have expected at least some build up. If the engine were continually fed dino oil at longer OCIs I bet the pictures would look a lot different.

First of all
welcome2.gif

What are your OCI from 80k to 133k?

I've got a few family members who live in San Diego (one in Lakeside, one in Vista and my 1986 VW jetta (332k) lives in Chula Vista now) and the one in Lakeside has a 318 Jeep and it is as clean as yours (it is a little cleaner, more metal color BUT he has had it since *new*). He has only run QS 5w-30 / 10w-30 green bottle @ 5-6k OCIs. Fram oil filters too!

Your weather down there helps on abuse on engines. It does get hot in Lakeside but for a week here and there. Not like here where we see 90s plus every day from May till Sept..(it was 98 yesterday) go 3 months from now and it will be freezing every night and most days.
smirk2.gif

I do have an off topic question... Front disk pads. My uncle has the same gen Jeep as you and his 5.2l automatic EATS disk pads like gas. If he can get 20k on a set and 35-40k on a set of rotors he would be lucky.

With 133k you have had it long enough how is your front brakes and their life?

Thanks, Bill

Bill,

Oil Change intervals on the Jeep were anywhere from 4k to 7k miles. The weather is easy on the oil and having a 180* thermostat doesn't hurt either, but most of the driving is short trip city driving.

As far as brake pads, I have the $19.99 Autozone lifetime pads. They don't stop very well but they do last a long time (especially with 35" tires) and they are free lifetime replacement. Just bring them back before they wear to the metal and you get a new set free. In the past 5 years I have put one new set of rotors all around (cheap Autozone parts) and two sets of Autozone pads. In fact, I've probably spent about $150 on brakes in the last 5 years - total.

Gary what are Normal deposits? The oil in 1995 was pretty darn good .I spent 23 years working on all sorts of engines in all sorts of vehicles that were properly maintained running "Dino" oil with out deposits so to say. Experience talks reading walks.

I'm still smiling, pal
55.gif
Do you think I grew up in a vacuum?

This would not be abnormal for an engine of that age

This engine, btw, received routine oil changes with dino every 4-5k miles. Now the miles are higher ..but since dino's are all that ...then the thing should still be as spotless as it ever was, right??

55.gif

My car was maintained with conventional changed every 5k at the dealer by the previous owner and my engine looked almost spotless at 125k when I checked it last. 14 years old now too! I'd be upset if it looked like that last pic!

Your Magnum looks better than average.
Keep doing what your doing...
Fram filters aren't terrible but better filters can be bought for the same or less money.
The Magnum engines are a solid design.

YMMV - that's the point. Do you think that every engine looks as good as the OP's? If so, pack up the board and everyone go home. We reached the acme of lubrication.

Now since you're a member ..and your engine looks like ...no better than the OP's ...then all members naturally have equal results ..since they're just as informed and behave like you.

The image I put up is from a member who did regular oil changes in the alleged preferred time frames.

What physical universe did he live in that all of you do not dwell in? That has to be the case since it's so "unworldly" for this to occur outside of your universe.

I keep getting notions lately of some "just world" group consciousness here. That's where when something happens to someone ..they get robbed or mugged or something ..and the immediate response is that they must have done something wrong.

But don't just believe me. VW/AUDI/TOYOTA and, to varying degrees ..many/most engines ..and you may see that you can do nothing wrong and end up with varnish.

This isn't a hard concept to grasp and it's hard to imagine that a few of you can't acknowledge it.

GOD loves you!

Well, I apologize for not thinking it through more clearly before I posted, I forgot to take into consideration that the Jeep engine is probably harder on oil than my Honda engine, for example. I'm grossly uneducated in terms of Jeep engines, and I'll admit that. Truce?
grin2.gif

I'm still smiling, pal
55.gif
Do you think I grew up in a vacuum?

This would not be abnormal for an engine of that age

This engine, btw, received routine oil changes with dino every 4-5k miles. Now the miles are higher ..but since dino's are all that ...then the thing should still be as spotless as it ever was, right??

55.gif

That engine is not out of a Jeep. Front wheel drive if you ask me. Or at least it is not the same v8 like the OP.

How many miles? What type of use? What motor in what vehicle?

Just posting a photo without details....

(and the engine you posted is more abnormal than normal IMO)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back