Threw away K&N's due to high silicon in UOA's

Status
Not open for further replies.
I tried to convince myself on that
Originally Posted By: Dyoel182
Originally Posted By: kr_bitog

When I put back the OEM filter, I can feel the acceleration slower, it seems K&N still give lower restriction when the engine sucks air.

The only difference I noticed is the oil getting dirty faster with K&N, and when it hit 10K the oil seems to flow much slower during start-up.

I'd say that 99% your mind and 1% the air filter.

I tried to convince myself on that, but based on the OBD on the ECU, it seems agree with my observation on the air flow volume on mid rpm.

Anyway, I read a report before, the weakness of K&N is with the fine dust filtering. The OE filter with multi layer filter for different particle size seems to address this issue well.

Only way to really know is to read your Mass Airflow Sensor on a scanner with both filters. Take a WOT run and record the highest MAF reading, then swap filters and go for another run. If there's a considerably higher reading with the K&N, then your engine is outflowing the paper filter. If they're similar, then the engine is not making any more power with one vs. another, no matter what your "butt dyno" is telling you.

Sometimes the K&N filters make the airbox louder, but really aren't doing anything else. People tend to equate more noise with more power lots of times too.

On my old '97 Grand Prix, I saw MAF readings of 19.8#/min with a new Wix paper filter, a K&N drop-in filter, an open cone, and an aftermarket CAI. This tells me that the engine was breathing just as well thru a paper filter as it was thru any other filter I tried. The paper filter and factory airbox were of sufficient flow rates for this engine.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: boxcartommie22
all a wives tale..unbelieveable the misinformation on here about k&n and others
Do tell.

How can you argue with UOAs showing higher Si than with a paper filter on the same engine in the same environment?
And, how can you argue with engines showing the same MAF readings on a paper vs. a K&N?

More dirt, no difference in power. Doesn't sound like too much of a "wives tale" to me.

I noticed no butt dyno difference in power between a standard air filter and the K&N air filter in my Integra. I also made sure to clear the ECU for 10 minutes then re-install the fuse and let the car idle for 10 minutes afterwards to re-calculate the A/F ratios for the different air filters. I only used the K&N for about 1,500 miles before switching to a Napa Gold. I'm glad I did, because my UOAs always show low silicon with the NG. I wish I would've gotten my oil tested when I was using the K&N.
33.gif

aww man!!! i didn't know k&n filters were bad. i just changed my oil yesterday so i guess i'll start fresh with new filter too.

what's the jury on the pureone filters? or what's the best bang from local parts source?(can't go thru ordering like an amsoil or afe)

glad i saw this now though. i'm planning on doing a uoa on the m1 5w40 tdt that came out. i guess i'll compare with the gc 0w30 and new filter.

Last edited:
As I just stated in another thread, you really can't beat the Fram orange box regular filter. They are top notch and cheap.

Originally Posted By: ToyotaNSaturn
Please take them out of the garbage and send them to me. :)

I wouldn't throw them in the garbage until Terry told you do so. I'd get a UOA from him to see if the trended data between the two labs either agrees or disagrees with the assessment that there's too much wear due to dirt ingestion.

Terry told me to get rid of the K&N, and go back to stock paper. So I did. I change my orange box Fram air filter every 5K miles. Just as Terry recommended.

Originally Posted By: buickmaster

what's the jury on the pureone filters? or what's the best bang from local parts source?

I've tried a few Pureones. They look well made but none of the ones I tried in three cars fit really well. They were just a little sloppy in the airbox. This is one area that Fram is OK. I've had good luck with WIX fitting too.

Originally Posted By: Hermann
Has anyone ever used AFE drop in filters?

AFE makes the TRD airfilters, i have one. Construction wise it seems much better than the K&N...tomorrow im expecting the AFE Dry Flow airfilter because no matter how much oil i used the TRD one it always makes a mess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back