GM: Grape Flavored 75W-90 Full Syn.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just a funny fyi ,,,, and no not grape flavored, but clearly grape scented as the bottle states as much.

I was at the dealer picking up a case of PF48's and the guys at the counter had the new 75W-90 full syn out and where talking about it's grape smell.

Of interest also, the product hails to be made in Canada.

Knowing that my Canadian friends are making such a fine product, and a good profit makes me happy.

08.gif

I think that BITOG'ers should push for country of origin labeling on lubricants, like we have done with food, so the more deserving nations get our hard earned cash.

Originally Posted By: NHSilverado
That special Grape Scent is why it cost $25 a bottle.
banana2.gif

I found it on ebay for about $9 a quart.

Originally Posted By: PT1
Originally Posted By: NHSilverado
That special Grape Scent is why it cost $25 a bottle.
banana2.gif

I found it on ebay for about $9 a quart.

$25 at the dealer.

The reason for the Grape scent , was they use to fill the axles in the assembly plants. Andthe line workers complained about the oder of the fluid, so they added the grape scent to address the complaints.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Was it the Dexron-LS gear oil?

Critic,

GM Part # 89021677 meeting GM specification 9986115

No that one is 9986290 or service part 88862625 (AC Delco), 88862624 (GMVC).

The grape scented fluid is not the new one.

Originally Posted By: Whitewolf

No that one is 9986290 or service part 88862625 (AC Delco), 88862624 (GMVC).

The grape scented fluid is not the new one.

Whitewolf,

You are of course correct as you of course would know. After my initial post, I found several much older posts/blogs regarding the grape 'kool-aid' dating back quite a few years.

I'm sure the guys at the parts counter where confusing the two or just assummed both where knew and I took their word for it.

Question for you Whitewolf,

To be clear, the fluid I speak, if called for directly, ( GM # 89021677 ) of no longer requires the additional 'GM Add' as in the past, correct?

Originally Posted By: HondaMan
Whitewolf said:
The Critic said:
Question for you Whitewolf,

To be clear, the fluid I speak, if called for directly, ( GM # 89021677 ) of no longer requires the additional 'GM Add' as in the past, correct?

Ok. Ready for this?
89021677 refers to 9986115 which is the current base lubricant for open diffs and lockers. When that fluid is used for plate type LSDs it requires the additional FM additive.
The new fluid that both I and the Critic referred to is DEXRON LS Gear Oil 75W-90 which is 9986290 or the other SP numbers that I mentioned. That fluid already contains the FM additive and therefore does not need any addition. In fact putting additional FM in that would be a bad thing! However, I must make it clear that the 9986290 fluid is ONLY for plate type LSDs.
Any help?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Whitewolf

Ok. Ready for this?
89021677 refers to 9986115 which is the current base lubricant for open diffs and lockers. When that fluid is used for plate type LSDs it requires the additional FM additive.
The new fluid that both I and the Critic referred to is DEXRON LS Gear Oil 75W-90 which is 9986290 or the other SP numbers that I mentioned. That fluid already contains the FM additive and therefore does not need any addition. In fact putting additional FM in that would be a bad thing! However, I must make it clear that the 9986290 fluid is ONLY for plate type LSDs.
Any help?

Yep! As I have what you are calling a 'locker' in my new 2008 Silverado with a 3.73 Rear Axle Ratio with Automatic Locking Differential.

They don't state a drain interval, but do sugguest it is long life. Suggestions?

My recommendation is to always change gear oils every 30k miles or 2-3 years whichever comes 1st.

Fyi

I run into this a lot with GM Truck owners who think or have been told incorrectly that a truck posi is the same as a car posi and they must use an additive Not so with GM Trucks/SUVs.

Do not use a limited slip additive in any GM truck differentials. The trucks use a G80 Locking Rear Differential which differs from a G80 Limited Slip Rear Differential which are normally install in passenger cars. Adding the additive to the G80 locker may prevent it from locking and could cause further damage.

By additive I mean a separate friction modifier you add to the gear lube, not the gear lube itself.

For those that refuse to believe it, here is a snippet from a service bulletin.

Quote:
Important
You do not need to wash/rinse any non-synthetic lubricant from the axle cavity when changing over to a synthetic lubricant. However, you should remove debris from the magnet and the bottom of the axle cavity whenever the axle fluid is changed.
On light-duty trucks equipped with locking differentials, do NOT use a limited-slip additive.

GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.
WE SUPPORT VOLUNTARY TECHNICIAN CERTIFICATION

© Copyright General Motors Corporation. All Rights Reserved.

Quote:

Yep! As I have what you are calling a 'locker' in my new 2008 Silverado with a 3.73 Rear Axle Ratio with Automatic Locking Differential.

They don't state a drain interval, but do sugguest it is long life. Suggestions?

I would change out the factory gear lube at first oil change, approximately 5,000 miles. Personally I would use a better lubricant like one of the high end synthetics, Amsoil, Mobil 1, Red Line, Royal Purple.

Originally Posted By: unDummy
My recommendation is to always change gear oils every 30k miles or 2-3 years whichever comes 1st.

That would be way overkill for the GM grape scent. My service & owners manual calls for 50k severe (towing) and 100k normal. I don't tow but do mostly short stop & go so I usually go 60k. But I dump all factory fill and clean out the break-in debris at 3-5k. Never an issue with a 50-60k change (depends on the weather)in 3 suburbans yet.

Originally Posted By: Mike_dup1

I would change out the factory gear lube at first oil change, approximately 5,000 miles. Personally I would use a better lubricant like one of the high end synthetics, Amsoil, Mobil 1, Red Line, Royal Purple.

I do believe it has been established that the Grape scented version is made by Petro Canada and known to be 'high end' as compared to the other brands you mention. Also meets the service fill spec., but that is a long topic of discussion as I have seen Whitewolf post in other threads regarding GM 99xxx specifications.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back