Switching to synthetic for winter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wondering how many folks out there run a quality dino for spring/summer/fall and switch to a synthetic in winter.

My method has been to run Pennzoil YB/Formula Shell three seasons and then switch over to an oil such as Amsoil 0w-30 right before the sub-zero winter temps arrive and run it until spring. None of my vehicles have block heaters because of the expense of putting one in three vehicles,so in -20 to -30F it is well worth the expense of switching over the SSO in winter.

Now that the myth of harm coming from switching from syn to dino has been adequately debunked I see no harm in this, only gains.

Originally Posted By: Steve S
Run syn all year. Syn seems to be a good thing in your temps.

Won't run syn year round (5k intervals for warranty on new car) because of the waste of dumping it out after 5k. When new car gets to 60,001 miles on it and the warranty expires then I'll go as long as I want and use Amsoil year round.
banana2.gif

Sure, no problems with the switch. Many people can use winter as an excuse to go down to dino 5w-20. A lil gas savings in nice in those temps. Now, in your far sub-zero temps, I'd go all the way to a synth 0w-20 if you think your car is ok with the 20 visc. Operting temp should be lowered enough to accomodate it.

Originally Posted By: RISUPERCREWMAN
Shiet..-30 to -20 where do you live the North Pole???

Dude, we get that in southern Ontario. That's not cold. Winnipeg is COLD.

I switch between the two for winter in one of my cars (the other gets synthetic year round). I should revise that, I use QS Winter or PP depending on which I find on sale when the pre-winter oil change is coming up.
It makes a noticable difference for cold starts.

Alex.

I live in buffalo, NY.

I have never had a problem running 5w30 dino in the winter months here. Fast easy starts, never a problem.

I have had older VW's that ran on 10w30 in the winter, again no problem.

This year I'm running a 9 dollar jug of mobil5000 5w30 in the ecotec saturn, and a 8 dollar jug of quaker state in the misses ecotec pontiac.

Got that cold here a few times last winter,that was without wind-chill also
wink.gif

LOL! I always get a kick out of the Texas guys that say: " It gets down to 35 degrees sometimes in winter here, do you think I should use a thinner oil?"

Everybody should experience the joy of saying a little prayer right before turning the car key in double digit sub-zero weather.

Originally Posted By: firemachine69
I'll tell you when my nuts thaw out.

LOL.gif

A sauna will help with that problem.
grin2.gif

Last winter we got -20 regularly and -30 enough times.

Last edited:
Oh, right the topic. Yes, you can switch safely. I've done that for years. With our cold temps there's definitely a benefit. That being said, 99% of the population uses bulk dino year round, so... then again at -30 their cars don't always start
LOL.gif

He wouldn't even be close. I lived in the Alaskan Interior for 6 years. School wouldn't close until the daytime "high" temp was below -50F. Saw quite a few days of -70F. Of course, no one in Alaska even factors in wind chill. These are actual temps.

The last winter we were up there, took the boys "trick or treating" on Halloween.... the temp was -35F.

You get used to it. But a typical 10w40 won't. We cut out the top of a quart of 10w40 one time when the temp was around -50F.... we held it upside down and it didn't move.

We always used oil pan heater pads... no matter if using synthetic. I live in Iowa now, and still use oil pan heater pads. They keep the oil warm and the heat radiates up thru the engine and makes for real easy starts. uses far less electricity than the typical engine block heater as well. A real cost effective product.

Originally Posted By: firemachine69
I'm tempted by the thought of an oil heating pad, links?

Google: Wolverine Heaters, that should get you what you're looking for :)

Frank D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back