LUCAS Injector cleaner

Status
Not open for further replies.
A while back I was in my local AUTO ZONE store and picked up a bottle of LUCAS Injector cleaner on impulse . Added it to the tank as per the directions . About a week later the CHECK ENGINE light came on ( 2001 Tundra ) . Took it in to the dealer and was informed that BOTH Catalytic converters were shot . My extended warranty had just run out a few weeks before but the dealer fudged the mileage . God bless them for that !
Coincidence ? Maybe , but I won't take that chance again .

Highly unlikely. If it instantly burned up cats, they couldn't sell it and would be subject to lawsuits, since if it's not clearly stated "NOT SAFE FOR CATALYTIC CONVERTERS".

Having said that, I'm sure trusting Lucas products is a great idea. My opinion based on some reading.

Originally Posted By: Dantheman
A while back I was in my local AUTO ZONE store and picked up a bottle of LUCAS Injector cleaner on impulse . Added it to the tank as per the directions . About a week later the CHECK ENGINE light came on ( 2001 Tundra ) . Took it in to the dealer and was informed that BOTH Catalytic converters were shot . My extended warranty had just run out a few weeks before but the dealer fudged the mileage . God bless them for that !
Coincidence ? Maybe , but I won't take that chance again .

--One small dosage of Lucas UCL did not cause your cats to fail. This is a coincidence. HUNDREDS of people on this board use UCL with no issues, including me. It's the only Lucas product that I will use and it's very good at what it does.

Hard to figure the MSDS here. It's not like most others..

Chemical Name: Petroleum hydrocarbon plus additives.
Formula: N/A
Hazardous Decomposition Products: Carbon monoxide and carbon dioxide from burning. Oxides from
burning. Oxides of phosphorous from burning. Oxides of sulphur.

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
Hard to figure the MSDS here. It's not like most others..

Chemical Name: Petroleum hydrocarbon plus additives.
Formula: N/A
Hazardous Decomposition Products: Carbon monoxide and carbon dioxide from burning. Oxides from
burning. Oxides of phosphorous from burning. Oxides of sulphur.

Infact this is what I don't like about this product

I think its a good top end lubricant but I don't think its much of an Injector cleaner.
I think the injector cleaning was more of a side effect so the marketing dept jumped on the band wagon.

Dantheman,

I agree with the others. I've been using Lucas and I've never had any issues with the product.

What you might do is cruise the Toyota forums and see if anyone else had the same problem. For the dealership to cut you slackwas a very kind jesture on his part however by doing it it may have happened before and he know about it.

If you recall in recent news Toyota has had quality problems in the US cars here so they're having VP's from Japan watch the VP in charge of North America.

Durango

Originally Posted By: mikered30
Your lucky he cut you slack, did you have over 80K miles on your truck?

Right at 80k . I have used that dealership for service work before so maybe they were trying to keep my business . Whatever the reason , they saved me a boatload of money .

Yes there is but it depends on what year the vehicle was built.
The newer vehicles have much longer emission warranties but only certain types of failures are covered.

Definatly coincidence. I have used this stuff for years and never had any issues. Works better, IMO, than others on the market for half the price.

Dantheman = you've gotta be the first person that I know of that, quite literally, had the warranty expire ..and almost as though it was on a timer, a normally covered item expired
LOL.gif

Only in an Asian designed vehicle could such precision be possible
grin2.gif
Asian design ...Yankee ingenuity.

IMHO not knowing the full service history, owner maintenance behaviour, driving behavour, brands of gasoline, oil and additives used, all I could say is that this could be mere coincidence, or beyond.

Again, we can spin out of our heads in hopes of coming to senses. Knowing that there are guys out there that would do just about anything (to their understanding) to their vehicles, then all I could say is that anything, be it gradual or unexpected/catastrophic failures could be possible.

Again, no conclusions can be drawn here but if after seeking second and third opinions from different dealers/mechanics and they all unamously agree that the emissions systems are shot, then sorry to hear that.

*good luck to you*

Q.

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
Dantheman = you've gotta be the first person that I know of that, quite literally, had the warranty expire ..and almost as though it was on a timer, a normally covered item expired
LOL.gif

Only in an Asian designed vehicle could such precision be possible
grin2.gif
Asian design ...Yankee ingenuity.

My brother's Taurus in the 90's (bought it new) had a 60K powertrain warranty. He was driving to California and the trans blew at 60,100 mi.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back