Top 3 Dino oils?????????????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Say you stay with the dino oils rather than synthetic oil,and go with a 4000-5000 oilchange, what might the best 3 be?? I guess for all around driving, no severe stuff, please chime in...

Last edited:
Motorcraft 5W20 (technically a syn blend, but priced at dino), Pennzoil yellow, and Havoline. Those are my choices.

But in reality, it is whatever SM and API certified oil is on sale!

Ha ha... that question's sure gonna generate a lot of opinions!

It really comes down to what you can get the best deal on. Pennzoil yellow bottle, Havoline, and ummm... lets see... I'm gonna go Chevron Supreme in order of the lowest price you can find!

Best oil number one, two, and three...
thumbsup2.gif

Seriously, I concur with the Motorcraft, then Pennzoil YB, last but not least... Mobile Clean 5000. All, plus many more SM rated oils with serve you well.

Last edited:
Please state any factual items to back up choices if possible...Not looking for 'my dad used **** oil for 50 years and so do i'.....Trying to distinguish factually what the best dino oil might be..

Any of the major brands. Penzoil YB, Castrol GTX, Valvoline, Motorcraft(Tropartic and Kendall are equivelient from Conoco phillips). Mobil 5000-Exxon superflo, Havoline, Quaker state Chevron...they are all good and meet some difficult specifications so buy based on price, sales, rebates aka buy based on price and spec

Well, you're probably not going to find hard "facts" or else everyone would flock to the very best oil! The oils listed here consistently do well in the UOAs that forum members submit.

So it's not exactly "the oil my dad used..." but it's the oil my fellow BITOGers seem to think highly of
wink.gif

Motorcraft, Pennzoil, Havoline DS. Those are my favorites, but I agree that any SM oil will work fine.

Pennzoil dino has had some amazing UOAs...

Originally Posted By: bruce381
""But in reality, it is whatever SM and API certified oil is on sale!""""

I agree all will go 4-5k no problems

See the title under his screen name.... his knowledge and experience is more than factual enough to back up his choice or any choice expressed within those stated ratings. The Used Oil Analysis section of this forum will show that any major brand oil could be considered the best. "Best" is a relative term.

Penn. YB - $13.50/5qt at Wally.

Mobil 5000 - $9.74/5qt at Wally.

Almost 40% price difference. At 4-5k that would be a tough pill.

I think an argument can be made concerning "best dino at 7k" - but at 4-5k, I think ST, Mobil5000 are tied for first with YB etal.

Off topic:

How do the other Motorcraft oil weights stack up, i.e., 5w30 and 10w30?

And I agree with Bruce 381: almost all GF-4 API-SM oils will go 4-5k with no problems.

Pennzoil uses better base oils than most and a very solid additive package.

Havoline DS uses a unique and extremely effective additive which is shear stable while being thinner, and uses high quality base oils.

Mobil Clean 5000 is a top tier brand of oil performance-wise that's as good and cheaper than many other brands such as Castrol GTX.

I like shell b/c of its bargain basement price and good performance. I get it at Costco for 21.99 12 Qt. With a cheap purolator filter, its good enough for my car

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back