RANT! Subway Sandwiches

Status
Not open for further replies.
Solo - Try Jason's Deli. Being shorted on ingrediants is generally not a problem there.

I have also heard PotBelly's is good, but I can't speak personally.

So this is how they are trying to maintain reasonable margins amid the rising cost of ingredients.

I like Jason's, went there last week. Good sandwich, but ended up being $20 for two people rather than $10....a week before payday, and I have to keep track of these things :)

You haven't steered me wrong yet for eateries in my neighborhood.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
They should consult with Amsoil on how to roll out price increases.......
whistle.gif
45.gif

thumbsup2.gif
Olives do have a lot of oil in them

I usually get a fair bit of olives when I go there, no problem. Could be her manager is a tightwad who dumped on her previously for putting too many toppings on sandwiches and now she's just trying to keep her nose clean. You never know what politics may be behind the scenes.

And how much are they paying someone to slice the olives to save money?

Wow.

After it was apparent that things weren't going to get any better, I would have politely said "I'm sorry, I've decided to eat somewhere else" and quietly left the store.\

If they saw enough of that, their "policy" would likely change sooner than later.

If you have one in your area, Jimmy John's is good. Started in the Carolina's IIRC and we just now have some in the KC area. Good and not too pricey. The roast beef was actually tasty.

Originally Posted By: JeepZJ4.0
Originally Posted By: Solo2driver
Originally Posted By: JeepZJ4.0
Where in Houston was this?

Westheimer & Fountain View, west of the Galleria (across from my wife's school, Memorial Lutheran).

We live further west and usually go to the one near Westheimer & Dunvale, across from the Wal-Mart....that's where we'll be going from now on. Or Gessner & Westpark, that is a block or two from us.

I live out in Katy. I have yet to go to a Subway in Katy or Houston. With so many other options, I avoid chains. I'd rather drive 20 minutes to Phonecia Deli than go down Fry Rd. to Subway.

That said, in Baton Rouge (still here working for a week....), the lady at the Subway on LSU's campus knows me and hooks me up every time. I ordered a $5 Tuna one day... it was VERY heavy. When I was on the road last week, I was just eating Subway.

if you are in Louisiana, you should NOT be eating at ANY chain, except popeye's or church's fried chicken.
but for sandwiches (po'boys in LA, not 'hoagies' or 'subs') you NEED to go to a Danny & Clydes. order a shrimp po'boy DRESSED; you will not be disappointed.
here's what they'll do: fresh raw shrimp, breaded and fried right then, all piled into a fresh roll lined w/ mayo, lettuce and tomato. the shrimp will be falling out there is so much.

Originally Posted By: sprintman
Tryed Subway once, big mistake. Dunno how they stay in business

They got Jared!
48.gif

Have a Subway directly across street from my shop, haven't eaten there in couple years. Know the owner personally, He'd be all over an employee for over stuffing any thing on a sandwich. Truly a miserable, stingy guy.

Bob

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
Why should I have to beg an employee at the place where I want to eat to do their job correctly ???
21.gif

Sounds like this lazy girl hates her job and is taking it out on customers. Did you call the Subway and speak to the owner?

You don't know what the kid has been told that they have to do.

A mate's daughter was working at Yucky Duck (KFC), and was told that the "standard" is whateve the standard box was, and that people who requested all breast pieces were to be (politely) put in their place, and under no circumstances delivered breast only.

She was put on the spot a few times, took the company line, but every single escalation ("I want to see the manager"), the Manager would order her to issue the breast only.

When she started issuing them prior to escalation, she got warned on company policy...went and worked at a pizza joint the next evening.

Subway is a profitable franchise. McDonalds has insanely high annual franchise fees (hundreds of thousands of dollars, if not more), and has to staff 15+ people at any given moment to cook, clean (maybe), take orders, drivethrough, dining area, etc.

You can run a busy lunch hour at a Subway with 3 minimum-wage employees (and no higher-cost "managers"), all with relatively low franchise fees and extremely low actual product and materials costs.

Granted, I'm the one who complained about it, but as far as franchise models go, it's the first one I'd do myself...low overhead, largish profit margins, and from everything I have experienced-- hands-off management. And you almost never see one empty!

Ah, America.

Being a franchise, Subway can have very good stores and very bad ones. I think the whole $5 footlong promotion was not implemented properly at all. I quit going to my local Subway because they would run out of basic things constantly. There were days with no lettuce, only one kind of bread, and only a few things on the menu would be available. Being stingy with toppings is definitely not the right way to go though. It is amazing that they would put up such a fight over it too.

Originally Posted By: alreadygone
Have a Subway directly across street from my shop, haven't eaten there in couple years. Know the owner personally, He'd be all over an employee for over stuffing any thing on a sandwich. Truly a miserable, stingy guy.

Bob

I did the same thing when they understuffed my sub. It must suck to work at subway
grin2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back