Lubromoly MOs2

Status
Not open for further replies.
has anyone used this product with their engine oil. I just got some last week and i put it in my car a couple days ago. I drive a 06' Jetta TDI with 93k on it. I have ran Castrol 505.01 for the life of the motor and someone recommended that i use the Lubromoly. Just wonder if anyone has any UOA's with this additive? If so i would love to hear what the results were.

-Brad

theres some on here but its hard to attribute any gains or losses to an additive.....

Originally Posted By: Taylor
theres some on here but its hard to attribute any gains or losses to an additive.....

Correct. I used the LM MoS2, I had a couple good UOA afterward but didn't see any fuel economy gains. On the plus side, it's inexpensive and it didn't hurt anything.

I haven't used any MoS2 yet, but I'm going to put some in my motor oil and then have another UOA, and decide from there if I'm going to use it in the future. From what I've read on the homepage about MoS2, it sounds like it would be a great idea to run it in a car that you want to last as long as possible.

I use Mobil 5w40, which has no moly. Mobil 0w40 contains about 50 ppm of moly. I figured Mobil 5w40 was already pretty good without it, and already pretty expensive, so that's why they didn't put any in that product. IMO it can't hurt and it might help. But I haven't decided whether to use it all the time. BTW, I only added 1/2 of a 300 ml container at each 10k-mile oil change... 300 ml seemed like a lot to add to 4.5 liters of oil.

A virgin analysis would be worth doing. I used it with Delvac 15W40 and it full changed the whole colour or it to like a charcoal grey mercury looking colour hehe. Even at draining after 5000k's i could not tell the difference. Did notice a greying of the surfaces hopefully from moly coating, then again, it may ahve just been the darker oil remnants. 300ml does seem much, but it is suspended in an inert mineral oil, to what concentration, only the VOA would tell.

The first time I added 150 ml of MoS2 to a fresh fill of Mobil Delvac 1 5w40 was in April 2007. Prior to that, iron wear had been tracking down from 65 to 45 to 35 ppm per 10k-mile interval. The sample with the MoS2 was only 24 ppm after 9939 miles, with 323 ppm of moly. I skipped sampling the next oil drain, when I sampled the one after that there was still 6 ppm of moly and the iron was 26 ppm. So I think the MoS2 was still having a positive effect nearly 20k miles after most of it was drained out.

That last sample was drawn in November 2007. I did not sample during the winter, then I drew a sample in May or June 2008 but I've never sent it in.

The reason I don't argue in favor of it is because the wear metal results were very good BEFORE using the MoS2. So a tiny improvement is irrelevant in the long run. And like I said in an earlier post, I didn't notice any change at all in fuel economy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back