Cleaning intake manifolds and Throttle body

Status
Not open for further replies.
I plan to assist a friend in cleaning his old Toyota Camry 1992
Regular family car where it only get oil change and occasion tune up.

I plan to spray the Throttle body with cleaner and after it starts I plan to let it inhale 1/3 of a bottle of B12 (after the MAF insertion) and let it sit for 15-20 min. I know about the smoke cloud and all that. Ive done that to my car at least 1x ayear

My concern is because his car is older and im sure lotsa gunk i am concern of what i clean may end up in catalytic converter. I plan to change the oil next week after the car runs the remaining can of B12.

Any suggestions

I would not do it that way.
Take off what you have to to get at the TB. Take it off if possible, because it's usually not hard and it will allow you to do a better , easier job.
/Either way, clean it with solvent and a rag - dinner plate clean.

I use an old somewhat worn soft toothbrush and gently scrub the throttle body bore and plate with a gentle dose of spray cleaner. Gently scrub the bore as well as both sides of the throttle palte. Pay special attention to the black carbon ring in the bore just inside the throttle plate. You may find it helpful to have an assistant hold the throttle open for part of the cleaning. I can clean it at least 98% as clean on the car as can be done off the car. Do it with the engine off. Don't worry about a little cleaner getting into the engine just don't spray away.

LOL--The killer is people still think seafoam is the bomb. It sucks compared to Power Foam.

PW. Do not do it in your garage also, as a friend said :)

Yeah I've cleaned out so many neglected and elderly engines with the PF and people still are amazed at the difference it makes. Does really good for folks who have neglected their PCV system and have goop all over lining the intake tract. The PC price of $4.60 is great too for an 18 oz can. I mean sea foam is ok if you gotta have something now, but I just order 6 cans at a time and put them on the shelf. You don't have to mess with vac lines or pop off the power steering line. So far it hasn't posed any threats to gaskets or sensors. Just aim and pull the trigger. Definitely want to be outside when you do it though that's for sure :)!

Originally Posted By: pickled
Agreed dargo Power Foam is good stuff...it definitely helps to rid the area of unwanted flying insects too!

Do you use a whole can per vehicle as it suggests? I ended up using less than half a can per vehicle and still had some left to use on a couple small engines. Cleans the vanish and carbon right off the throttle bodies and even the tail pipe.

No sir....half can on anything smaller than a v8 is plenty. You know it's good stuff when it cleans the tail pipe too!!
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: dargo
LOL--The killer is people still think seafoam is the bomb. It sucks compared to Power Foam.

PW. Do not do it in your garage also, as a friend said :)

because you will be killing a lot of mosquitoes when you do it out of the garage!

Originally Posted By: pickled
No sir....half can on anything smaller than a v8 is plenty. You know it's good stuff when it cleans the tail pipe too!!
thumbsup2.gif

it cleans the tailpipe by just spraying throught the tb. what!!?! that's some potent stuff. gonna have to find me some to try out.

Power Foam works great!It cleaned up sticky valve guides on a 5.4 Ford that sat for 2 years in a few min.IMHO Seafoam isn't worth the can its in,just pale oil that makes a ton of smoke when hot.

I have to be nice since someone pm me on issues with this.....being nice.

PF you just spray into the TB while the car/etc is ruunning...works mint.

Yeah you do have to consult Mecca to get some unless you have a store that carries Amsoil products around your area. Gary or Pablo could hook you up proper. My stash is consistently replenished with this stuff...I'd recommend picking up 2 cans if you're going to order it. The price of crack doesn't ever seem to go down in the Superior, Wisconsin area
cheers3.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back