DIESEL FUEL ADDATIVE

Status
Not open for further replies.

jtl

I was told by a 25 year GM service manager that ATF is a great FI cleaner and one large bottle of marvel mystery oil to 25 gal works wonders. Anyone heard of this?

Yes. It's been beat to death. ATF is not a great FI cleaner. I would not use it for that. There are many better FI cleaners than MMO. I see it more as a system cleanliness maintainer, at best. Some people swear by it. To each their own favorites. Service managers usually know how to make money for the dealership and know relatively little about what's really going on under the hood.

It's rare to find a service manager that was ever a tech. Most have little to no actual mechanical automotive experience.
Take what they say with a large grain of salt.

Talk to the shop foreman or lead hand for better advice.

There are some pretty good diesel additives out there, and some that are a waste of money. But MMO is not a diesel additive, and ATF is not a diesel additive. So just do some research, decide what qualities you are looking for and which products offer the most for the least money.

You might look for a fuel additive study run on another website by a guy named Spicer. He found that a 2% blend of biodiesel (B02) was better for improving lubricity than every commercial product.

With winter rolling around in a couple months, you might check out the difference between emulsifying additives and demulsifying additives. Which one you choose may depend on which engine/injection system you have, which kind is recommended by the vehicle manufacturer, and of course whether you are adding to your vehicle's fuel tank or to a storage tank.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back