GM 6094M/4718M

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
Hi,

Can someone give me a quick rundown of what exactly is the significance of the GM 6094M and 4718M oil specifications? I found one place that the 6094 relates to a low temperature specification, and 4718 to a high temperature specification, but nothing else.

Is this spec imporant in all modern GM engines specced to run 5w-30 (or xw-30 oils)? In my 98 S-10, I have not seen any reference to requirement of an oil to meet these specs, however if it would be beneficial, I will ensure that my oils meet it. Is there an application guide to tell what engines need an oil to meet this spec?

Or is this a corvette only type spec? Would I see a sticker or info telling me that my oil needs to meet a certain GM spec, similar to the way that my S-10's manual tells me that I need to use a power steering fluid that meets a specific GM spec?

Thanks,

JMH

Your S-10 does not "require" synthetic oil. To get to 4718M requires at least a premium GpIII product. Not all so called syns actually meet this spec.

6094M is relatively new and many good oils will meet it at a reasonable price. Castrol GTX, and Mobil Clean 7500 come to mind.

You should meet 6094M, but a synthetic to 4718M is not required for you.

the 4718 requiring a grp III or better product makes sense, since it is probably related to HT/HS, since that seems to be an important part in most oil specs.

Based upon my analysis of my results and others in the database, the GM 4.3 gets its best UOA results using a good dino oil (pennzoil seems to do the best). However, I use synthetics in all my and my family's vehicles, and we have been very successful in using them. I would like to find a syn oil that produces consistently good UOA results in the 4.3, but the secret may be in meeting some of the specifications that GM uses for different powertrains they produce.

Thanks,

JMH

quote:

Originally posted by JHZR2:
the 4718 requiring a grp III or better product makes sense, since it is probably related to HT/HS, since that seems to be an important part in most oil specs.

Based upon my analysis of my results and others in the database, the GM 4.3 gets its best UOA results using a good dino oil (pennzoil seems to do the best). However, I use synthetics in all my and my family's vehicles, and we have been very successful in using them. I would like to find a syn oil that produces consistently good UOA results in the 4.3, but the secret may be in meeting some of the specifications that GM uses for different powertrains they produce.

Thanks,

JMH

Actually, a low HT/HS 30wt. can meet 4718M. It's more that the base can stand up to high temps. Wish it were as simple as meeting GM specs...........

My GC 0W-30 does not list meeting any GM spec. only API SL/CF and the Euro stuff, but look at the great results. Mobil 1 will meet both specs., but doesn't necessarily out perform oils like GC that do not. Life is never simple.

quote:

I just want the best oil, to provide the best UOA results that I can get. Cost isnt really an issue, though relative cost increase to performance improvement is a consideration of value.

JMH

It probably isn't readily available in New Jersey but Petro Canada's Synthetic Blend meets the 4718 spec and I expect if one was to check with them that you would find that it meets 6094 as well. I can purchase their synthetic blend by the case for half the price of any full synthetic sold in this area. www.petrocanada.ca/eng/prodserv/lubesgreases/6886.htm

[ February 23, 2005, 01:34 PM: Message edited by: Islander ]

quote:

Originally posted by Islander:

quote:

I just want the best oil, to provide the best UOA results that I can get. Cost isnt really an issue, though relative cost increase to performance improvement is a consideration of value.

JMH

It probably isn't readily available in New Jersey but Petro Canada's Synthetic Blend meets the 4718 spec and I expect if one was to check with them that you would find that it meets 6094 as well. I can purchase their synthetic blend by the case for half the price of any full synthetic sold in this area. www.petrocanada.ca/eng/prodserv/lubesgreases/6886.htm

Based on the published specs it seems like a decent oil. However, with TBN of 7.6, I am not sure you would want to use it for extended drain purposes.

cheers.gif

Bob W.

quote:

Hi,

Can someone give me a quick rundown of what exactly is the significance of the GM 6094M and 4718M oil specifications? I found one place that the 6094 relates to a low temperature specification, and 4718 to a high temperature specification, but nothing else.

Is this spec imporant in all modern GM engines specced to run 5w-30 (or xw-30 oils)? In my 98 S-10, I have not seen any reference to requirement of an oil to meet these specs, however if it would be beneficial, I will ensure that my oils meet it. Is there an application guide to tell what engines need an oil to meet this spec?

Or is this a corvette only type spec? Would I see a sticker or info telling me that my oil needs to meet a certain GM spec, similar to the way that my S-10's manual tells me that I need to use a power steering fluid that meets a specific GM spec?

Thanks,

JMH

The 6094M standard deals with low temp pumpability, using the MRV (mini rotary valve) viscosity test. It is not only for 5w-30 oils: GM requires that this test be used for both 5w and 10w-30 oils. However, many oils, both dino and synthetic, meet this test.

The 4718 test is also known as the Corvette test because GM designed this spec for that line of engines. Back then only synthetics could meet this test as it involves the physical chemical type tests, the bench tests, and the engine dynamometer tests, as well as High Temperature High Shear Viscosity at 150 C, Filterability, Distillation, Foaming, the Sequence VI engine test for Fuel Efficiency, has a Phosphorus maximum of 0.12%, and Flash Point.

To date, many oils will pass this as well. Mobil1, Kendall GT-1, Syntec and others are rated for this spec.

In my view, if you can afford it, an oil that meets both would be the way to go. However, the 6094 test is probably more important in your application.

Just my $.02.

cheers.gif

Bob W.

JMH

Further to my last message, I contacted Petro Canada and they confirmed my assumption as follows:

"Petro-Canada Synthetic Blend meets the requirements of GF-3 version of GM 6094M and will meet the requirements of GF-4 (April 2005) version of GM 6094M"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back